Tara's Thread

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Emil Kraepelin, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Tara, Dear Lady, felicitations on your happy news! I am sure that I speak for the B-Team in wishing you good health and a joyous experience. And you have the perfect avocation for the occasion! But do remember to close out all trades at the appropriate time!

#81     Feb 9, 2009
  2. Better planning would have been happier news, but I suppose I should be grateful. It's just all such a shock at the moment I might not hit x3 today.

#82     Feb 9, 2009
  3. Trust me. I am a grandfather. I know about these things. Far far better to do it when you are in the prime of your youth. Strong, healthy and energetic. And you are in a wonderful country for the care. Just don't do it again, haha! I impoverished myself with four, and didn't get them all off the payroll until I was 55. Here the pricetag per is about $400K, figuring in public universities. You will still be a young woman when you get out of jail, with plenty of time left to get rich.

#83     Feb 9, 2009
  4. Thanks for reminding me of the bill. Better learn SCT quickly!

#84     Feb 9, 2009
  5. And I forgot to add that some things are meant to be. Larger forces are at work in our lives than we are usually aware of. We are part of an invisible and collectively-obligated community of those who have passed and those who are to come. It is someone's time to come. All are striving, and debts are owed all around. It is a journey of discovery and realization for yourself and for the one you bear.

#85     Feb 9, 2009
  6. This piece from the Financial Times stuck me as I had been thinking about the Cognitive Dissidence in SCT. What grabbed my attention was how inner conflicts result in self justification that become a source of energy to continue doing something we know is stupid.

Marian Keech is like Jedi Jack because both have all the answers. Jack should also use this title in his book...

Mistakes Were Made (but not by me)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In their fascinating book, Mistakes Were Made (but not by me) , psychologists Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson describe the classic study in which researchers infiltrated a group of people, led by a woman named Marian Keech, who believed the earth was going to be destroyed by a flood on December 21 1954.

While some of Ms Keech's followers waited at home in despair as midnight approached on December 20, many others had rid themselves of their belongings and joined Ms Keech to await the flying saucer she promised would whisk them to safety.

As midnight passed, even the fervent believers became restless. At 4.45am, however, Ms Keech had a new vision: because of the unwavering faith of her followers, God had spared the planet. The mood shifted among those awaiting the spaceship from despair to exhilaration which, as researcher Leon Festinger reported, translated over time into an even more impassioned belief in Ms Keech's mystical abilities.

Here is how Ms Tavris and Mr Aronson describe the motivational power of what Mr Festinger termed "cognitive dissonance":

"The engine that drives self-justification, the energy that produces the need to justify our actions and decisions - especially the wrong ones - is an unpleasant feeling called 'cognitive dissonance'. It is a state of tension that occurs whenever a person holds two cognitions (ideas, attitudes, beliefs, opinions) that are psychologically inconsistent, such as 'smoking is a dumb thing to do because it could kill me' and 'I smoke two packs a day'. Dissonance produces mental discomfort, ranging from minor pangs to deep anguish; people don't rest easy until they find a way to reduce it."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jedi Jack will find the elusive channel.

#86     Feb 13, 2009
  7. CHANNELS
    OK, enough channel jesting. If you want to know how to sort out the mess that Jack has made of butchering channels, PM me and I'll show you how to discover precise time and price reversals with channels in a time honored way.

#87     Feb 13, 2009
  8. Tara, you noticed that Tums and Kneesox both stopped posting the same day? Could it be? Naaah! Not on ET!

#88     Feb 13, 2009
  9. Glad you corrected your temporary insane, twisted perception about the character of ET members.

I did notice Neoxx is on a go-slow with his posts. I'm hoping he hasn't given up proving SCT is the most powerful methodology available anywhere in the universe.

What a shame for Jack if his boot camp proves a failure after investing in all that machinery.

Anyway, I just put it down to Tums and Neoxx going out for a parting drink together, as they had developed quite a symbiotic relationship.

Nothing more than that Arthur ;)

#89     Feb 13, 2009
  10. One man's symbiosis is another man's incest.

#90     Feb 13, 2009