Tape delays in the morning

Discussion in 'Trading' started by dddooo, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Last couple of days I've been watching T&S and Level II screen for FITB - the stock trades about 3-4 mln shares a day.

Every day I see significant tape delays in the morning between 9:30 and 9:50 for this symbol. I mean the tape is behind and it could be behind by as much as 30 seconds.

When the bid and ask in LII 64.20X64.25 the tape is still printing trades at 63.95 where the bid and ask were about 20-30 seconds ago. In about half a minute 64.20 prints are finally beginning to go off the tape but by that time LII already has 64.50X64.52.

I was looking at KLAC LII and T&S at the same time just to compare and it did not have any delays - the prints were going off at or between bid and ask even though it is a much heavier traded stock.

I was wondering whether anybody experienced these delays with FITB or any other stock or have any reasonable explanation why it could be happening to one symbol but not the other one.

BTW I am using qCharts.

Thanks

2. cas

cas

"BTW I am using qCharts." <-- QCharts has always been know to have slow data. I'd say that would be the place to start....watch the action on a better quote feed and see if it is the same.

cas

3. I do not think it is qCharts in this case. It does not happen with other symbols. As I said I had FITB and KLAC side by side and KLAC was fine even though the number of transactions with KLAC is significantly higher.

Also I forgot to mention, each print has a timestamp and the time is fine. It is not like I am getting a print executed at 09:32:30 half a minute later. If current time is 09:33:00 the print would show 09:33:00 and the bid and ask timestamp would show 09:33:00 except that the price of the print would be were bids and asks were half a minute ago.

It looks almost like the trades are reported 20-30 seconds later, but then again it does not happen to other stocks.

4. kztd

kztd Guest

Sounds off hand like your print time is bad, if you hit a bid on a NASDAQ stock you're print s/b instantaneous (no humans involved). Give me a specific print and I'll check it w/ my data.

It could be also that you're seeing prints against an invisible bid/offer.

Karl