Talking to some Hedge Fund guys

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dvshucks, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

If you have to ask what questions you should ask to look smart, your not going to be able to pull it of.

Your going to be better off being yourself. If you are an intelligent person (I'm assuming you are) just let the natural intellect come through, and let them know your willing to work hard and you will learn fast. Alot of times a lack of experience is a good thing becsue there are no bad habits they have to beat out of you.

Brandon

#11     May 18, 2009
  2. sjfan

sjfan

So this guy scammed his way into getting some charitable career advice from a bunch of these guys... if he went in there with a hard sell, it's going to the phone hung up on him in very short order. It's deceptive, insulting, and frankly - stupid.

#12     May 18, 2009
  3. Well "y'all" doesn't sound very sophisticated for a start.

Are you from the south? Nothing wrong with the south per se but be aware that most hedgies are from the Northeast and "y'all" does not impress.

More to the point: you are looking for pointers to sell yourself?

Why, don't you have the substance that sels itself?

It's a crazy question to ask and I think you will embarass yourself. I'm trying to be kind by phrasing it that way.

I second the earlier poster who wants to know how it went.

#13     May 18, 2009

4. Classic "starter" for an interview is to ask you about your best 3 "trading ideas" or "stock stories"...:D

#14     May 19, 2009
  5. Cut the BS out and ask them for a job and prove you are "da shit"

#15     May 19, 2009
  6. maxpi

maxpi

I used to be good with interviews. I never went in trying to impress I just went and discussed things to see if we had a fit from both sides of the table... if it starts to look like there is not a fit but you want a job, start talking about how so many jobs are taken by interviewees that didn't even exist at the start of the interview... sometimes they might get somebody from another department or human resources to see if you couldn't benefit their organization in some way...

#16     May 19, 2009
  7. Ash1972

Ash1972

Interesting how NEasterners and Midwesterners predominate. Although the original, PTJ, is a Southerner.

#17     May 19, 2009
  8. I've been able to get through to a couple and was wondering if yall have any advice on how to sound smart and ask the right questions so that when I ask for a job, I've got a chance"

Only an idiot will accept BS.

1) Be prepared to show you understand trading and discuss any experience you have and how it may help them

2) As someone said, Traders are Alpha Males. You should be somewhat humble and show you are willing to learn and that you can assist them in some unique ways. Bragging will not go over well. You need to blow your horn without sounding like an entire rbass ensemble.

3) Experience is experience. Don't bring up anything you don't understand well, or the interview will be quickly over. Stay in areas that are your strengths

4) Ask some intelligent questions. Study their websites, google on the company/news. An interview mostly allows them to learn about you and how you can help their company. Intelligent questions make you look like you are savvy.

#18     May 20, 2009