Talked to a principal the other day.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Discipline begins at home.

If the parents are involved properly and are willing to discipline, there is no need for corporal punishment by the schools...

#11     Apr 11, 2010
  2. No doubt todays kids are emulating what they see from hollywood but what can you do ...censor? Parents that control what kids can watch get results but there are parents where the kid rules the roost then they come to school and think they rule there too and what are you going to do about it? American culture values whatever makes money ...thats the tradeoff for freedom. On this issue I'm a conservative. Success has more to do with influences from home than money; save building less than crowded schools which noone wants. And teachers unions
    from what I've witnessed are going on strike every two years.
    Also, alot of teachers don't want the problem kids they just want to concentrate on the gifted students and float thru their day at work. Youth have monopolized culture and thats a mistake.

#12     Apr 11, 2010
  3. I think if you talk to teachers the major complaint is that the parents don't backup the teachers when it comes to discipline.

Teachers want to teach, they don't want to raise children...

#13     Apr 11, 2010
  4. Going into the profession they should be aware that they have to take on a certain amount of students who will need more attention than the gifted student. I'm not saying raise the kid I'm saying they'll have to engage their students on an individual basis and not think all they have to do is lecture.

#14     Apr 11, 2010
  5. There was a field trip. Parents were among the chaperones. One kid is running around on the bus, jumping, being a menace, one parent chaperone told the kid to sit down. The kids mother was also a chaperone and told the other parent "Don't you tell my kid what to do". The parents ended up in a fight, the bus driver turned the bus around went back to the garage and the field trip was cancelled.

#15     Apr 11, 2010
  6. Wallet

Wallet

published in the editorial section in some newspaper...

Kids being drugged by parents

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question.
    "Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?"
    I replied I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.
    I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.
    I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity.
    I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cocklebur's out of dad's fields.
    I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.
    Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, or think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.
    God bless the parents who drugged us

#16     Apr 11, 2010
  7. I hear you. It could be in the selection of words used in reprimanding the kid or the parent was just a mental case
    getting arrogant and overly defensive. There must be a million
    anecdotal examples that can't stand in as solutions for how
    to fix whats broken though I do tend to lean towards some parents giving up on imprinting values into their kids. And, popular youth culture is at cross purposes with the goal.

#17     Apr 11, 2010
  8. Sounds like bus drivers should be running the schools.

#18     Apr 12, 2010
  9. Some parents need to learn the old adage.... "... Beat your kids twice per day. If you don't know why, they do."

#19     Apr 12, 2010
  10. When I was a kid... First time I got "All As" on my report card, the rule became, "If I get less than 'all As', I was grounded until the next report card. That is, if I could get all A's once, I must be screwing off later if I didn't get all A's"... that was a bitch of overbearing parenting, but I DID do my homework...

Parents would be doing their kids a great favor if parents were much more strict... "Spare the rod and spoil the child."... still true today as ever.

#20     Apr 12, 2010