Talk about your basic injustice

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gunslinger, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Rarely do I cut and paste enything, but this is ludicrous

Why Is Genarlow Wilson In Prison??

Sign online petition
    UPDATE
    See video of Genarlow's attorney talking about the case on FOX News DaySide (scroll down to 'As Seen on DaySide')
    Could this happen to your child? Your brother? Your friend?

Genarlow Wilson sits in prison despite being a good son, a good athlete and high school student with a 3.2 GPA He never had any criminal trouble. On the day he was to sit for the SAT, at seventeen years old, his life changed forever. He was arrested. In Douglas County he was accused of inappropriate sexual acts at a News Year’s Eve party. A jury acquitted him of the allegation of Rape but convicted him of Aggravated Child Molestation for a voluntary act of oral sex with another teenager. He was 17 and she was 15.

Along with the label “child molester” which would require him throughout his life to be on a sexual offender registry, Genarlow received a sentence of eleven years — a mandatory 10 years in prison and one 1 year on probation.

Strangely, in Georgia two teens can have intercourse and it is a misdemeanor but if they engage in oral sex, it is a felony which mandates a minimum of 10 years in prison. If two teens engaged in heavy petting, that could be felony Child Molestation.

ABC Chief Legal Correspondent Chris Cuomo interviewed Genarlow in prison on PrimeTime Live. You were able to hear from Genarlow yourself and realize the grave injustice of his ten year prison sentence. There is an online poll and message board at the ABC website.

The January 2006 issue of Atlanta Magazine provides a full account of the injustice and problem with Georgia law.

2. The bible thumpers are trying to out do Hitler. And they are pissed they lost all their slaves. Fucking inbreed maggots.

http://progressive.org/mag_mc032706

enise Grier is a nurse at Emory University hospital in Georgia.

On March 10, she was driving home from dinner when a Dekalb County police officer pulled her over.

“At least initially, I was just surprised because I hadn’t done anything wrong,” she says.

“When he approached the car, he had his hand on his weapon, and I was in my nurse’s uniform with a stethoscope around my neck. He asked for my license, and then said, ‘Any idea why I stopped you.’

“I said no.

“ ‘You have a lewd decal on your car.’ ”

Grier says she immediately thought that one of her kids had put something nasty on her bumper as a joke.

“But then he mentioned the Bush sticker,” she says. That one says: “I’m tired of all the BUSHIT.” (This story was first reported by Joe Johnson of the Athens Banner-Herald.)

3. Richard Paey: Still a political prisoner.

Today, Richard Paey sits in a wheelchair behind high walls and razor wire in a high-security prison near Daytona Beach. Paey is a 46-year-old father of three, and a paraplegic. His condition is the result of a car accident, a botched back surgery, and a case of multiple sclerosis — three setbacks that have left him in a chronic, debilitating state of pain. After moving to Florida from New Jersey, Paey found it increasingly difficult to get prescriptions for the pain medication he needed to function normally — to support his family, and to be a parent to his children.

Paey's difficulties finding treatment were in large part due to federal- and state-government efforts to prevent the illegal use — or "diversion," as the feds call it — of prescription pain medicine. Doctors today face fines, suspension, the loss of license or practice, the seizure of property, or even prison time in the event that drug cops (most of whom have no medical training) decide they are prescribing too many painkillers. As a result, physicians are understandably apprehensive about aggressively treating pain.

Like many pain patients, Paey found himself on the blunt end of such policies. He went from doctor to doctor, looking for someone to give him the medication he needed. By the time he eventually turned to his old New Jersey doctor for help, he had already attracted the attention of Florida drug-control authorities. What happened next is disputed, but it ended with Paey getting arrested, getting his home raided, and eventually getting convicted of drug distribution.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/25/opinion/main975946.shtml