Taleb: Stimulus Made Ecomony Worse

Discussion in 'Economics' started by pspr, Sep 25, 2010.

1. achilles28

achilles28

You got to be kidding.

Sergey Brin? Who the fuck cares??!

China is the second largest economy in the world. Wake up.

#31     Sep 27, 2010
  2. Fear mongering about the Latest Greatest Threat to All That's Good has been going on all my life.
    You can wake me up when the Chinese succeed where all the others failed. These arguments were all made before, for all the other contenders. After the fourth one, well, you've heard it all before.

#32     Sep 27, 2010
  3. achilles28

achilles28

I understand a lot of baseless fear-mongering happened in the past.

On the flip side, nothing about the American, Japanese or German economic ascension can't be replicated. It's a formula. Once the conditions are met, the only step limiting factor is population and trade protection. Wouldn't you agree with that?

#33     Sep 27, 2010
  4. No.
    The UK is a very small country, but they controlled the world for more than a hundred years.
    Before them were the Dutch, an even smaller country.
    Political power flows from economic dominance, and that's a factor of development, not population. India and China have been the two most populous countries on the planet all throughout written history, pretty much, but since the world went truly global with the discovery of America, neither has been much of a factor in the world until just very recently.
    The US is still the largest economy by far, and per capita will continue to be even if China catches up in terms of sheer volume. They will have to at least come close per capita to have a chance of knocking the US off its perch. The US couldn't replace the UK until that happened, for instance, even though by volume we were the largest economic power by the late nineteenth century.
    For China, that's not happening for a long time, if ever. Their demographics are, as I said, horrendous, and that's only going to get worse.

#34     Sep 28, 2010
  5. ammo

ammo

aside from economics,our populace have to eat,we still make 70% of the worlds food(old number,probably 60%)these countries you speak of are avoiding starvation ,feeding their workforce,due to US exports of food,ace in the hole when shit hits the fan,secondary is the military,r allead the players at the table before you raise on your pair of tens

#35     Sep 28, 2010
  6. Hum, may I add my 6 cents to the discussion ?

1) Domestic sales by GM China and its joint ventures in August rose 19.2 percent on an annual basis to 181,625 units, taking GM’s sales in China for the first eight months of 2010 to 1,567,411 units.

2) BEIJING, Sep 27, 2010 : Today, bare iPhone 4, the latest smart phone of Apple, will hit the Chinese market. Before Apple declared the sales of bare iPhone 4, more than 300 outlets of Suning around China have received booking of tens of thousands for the smart phone.

3) McDonald's Corp. opened its first drive-through in Beijing on Friday, launching a partnership with a major Chinese oil company to exploit the country's growing taste for both cars and Western fast food.

4) Caterpillar is eyeing emerging markets, particularly China, India and Brazil, in the belief that these markets will help meet its long-term goals.

5) 3M is becoming increasingly global: in 2009, 63% of 3M's total revenue came from outside the United States.[2] Its international penetration makes 3M well-positioned to take advantage of growing economies such as those of India and China, China.

#36     Sep 28, 2010
  7. MKTrader

MKTrader

Better schools has practically nothing to do with the money. We spend more now with much worse results than a few decades ago. Better schools = much less Federal and NEA involvement. Good luck with that, especially in these times.

#37     Sep 28, 2010
  8. achilles28

achilles28

No. Economic power results from population and development. It's both.

That's why Germany and Japan are a distant second to the United States. Do the math on their per capita income and they rival our GDP.

Same with China. Why? Because they own the rights to most our commercial technologies. They have population and we gave them technology. It's only a matter of time before their development catches up.

As for the UK and Dutch, yea. But the redcoats were handily spanked by the colonists over a century before American per capita incomes eclipsed the British. That was a watershed moment. The changing of the guard from one superpower, to the next.

#38     Sep 28, 2010
  9. achilles28

achilles28

What are you saying, Ammo?

That if the Chinese economy gets too big, America will threaten to cut off food exports? Or bomb them?

The US didn't bomb the Soviets. They both had nukes. So does China.

#39     Sep 28, 2010
  10. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

the whole problem is mindset ........

us citizen's think their entitled - bullshit your not - get off your lazy ass and do something before you get steam rolled over - yes this may include a mass exodus to other countries - but only recommended if you got off your lazy ass and made some money - don't like what i just said? then your probably well educated just consider this is coming from a high school drop out who refused ever since to bow to the system - now i am, my own system.

also countries, religions, governments, schools have jack shit to do with economies - it's the very few brilliant people who create and innovate to feed the masses what they must have they don't teach that shit in school rather they suppress it.

degree = become mind dead and memorize what the prof says - take test get degree - great a cloned prof just what the world needed another handicapped young adult.

mb

#40     Sep 28, 2010