Taleb: Skin in the Game --- Book review

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Pekelo, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

One of the reviews said he already stated everything in one of the Antifragile chapters, so this book is just an extension of that.

#11     Jan 3, 2020
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

#12     Jan 3, 2020
  3. #13     Jan 3, 2020
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

He peaked the day he blew his first hedge fund.

#14     Jan 3, 2020
    destriero likes this.
  5. ironchef

ironchef

I thought he made a few killings during 1987, 2000 and 2009?

#15     Jan 7, 2020
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I don’t know how much money he made. His returns (as published in the mainstream press don’t make sense).

But I do know he shut down his first hedge fund for poor returns.

And I do know people who have studied under him at NYU. None of them thought highly of him.

#16     Jan 7, 2020
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, I gave it a honest try, but I had to keep jumping forward and eventually I just didn't care.

He is either talking about the obvious (I already know), or bullshits (I don't care about) or irrelevant. Now the irrelevant (to the topic of the book) part could be interesting, but is here and there, so I have to go through a bunch of other obvious or bullshit to get it.

All in all, it is just too much effort. And as I said earlier, I generally disagree with the premise of the book. People having skin in the game just failed as easily as people without stakes.

#17     Jan 7, 2020
  8. themickey

themickey

Are you chewing someone's ear off? :) hehe
    Bulldog-puppy-wake-up.jpg

#18     Jan 7, 2020
  9. ironchef

ironchef

Intuitively I think people who has skin in the game works harder to make the skin more valuable?

Of course if my skin is different from yours (management's self interest, or majority owner's self interest is different from the general public shareholders') then it is a different story.

#19     Jan 7, 2020
  10. Yeah but dealing with people who have skin in the game generally makes it a safer bet. Moral hazard, and all that. I didn't read the book, but the premise seems obvious.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    #20     Jan 7, 2020
    luisHK likes this.