taleb question

Discussion in 'Options' started by nravo, May 8, 2005.

1. #11     May 9, 2005
  2. Choad

Choad

http://www.dailyspeculations.com/

#12     May 9, 2005
  3. You found it?

Let me guess, you're doing standup comedy next! :D

#13     May 9, 2005
  4. ktm

ktm

Sure he's a goof to listen to, and most of his writings and answers are babble. As far as trading, he averaged 40% a year for many years and over 30% the last few years. He blew up in 97 and is back, how is this "trading badly"?

His results are out there and known. Where are Taleb's results?

#14     May 9, 2005
  5. sle

sle

I happend to know the guy personally. Even though I disagree with him on variety of topics, I really do like him. He is a bright guy and has been around the street for a long time, certainly longer then me and almost-certainly longer that anyone on this board. Experience counts in this business more then anywhere else.

As for his language, he talks like that too, must be the background or something. Overall, he is a pretty natural guy and very easy to be around, but whenever he opens his mouth, you need a thesaurus. And I am talking about a chit-chat over dinner, not an academic discussion - would you use the word "hedonistic model" when discussing wine prices?

In any case, his fund has done surprisingly well, in risk-weighted terms. But then again, so did the bond market.

#15     May 9, 2005
  6. #16     May 9, 2005
  7. jem

jem

he has blown up more than once. he has lost dozens maybe hundreds of million dollars.

Anyone can play for a reversion. Sell premium when the reversion takes longer than normal and then blow up.

There were articles saying he kept betting even though his customers requeste the return of their investments.

finally

anyone who blows up others money in large amounts should not be considered a good trader.

#17     May 9, 2005

8. do you have any additional info on why the fund was closed and the sabatical letter?

thanks

#18     May 9, 2005
  9. You could probably get in touch with him on the Wilmott site. He sometimes posts using the handle kurtosis

#19     May 9, 2005
  10. thank you :)

#20     May 9, 2005