Taking Apple (AAPL) short

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by chaosclarity, Oct 9, 2011.

1. lindq

lindq

A few of history's most famous last words:

#31     Oct 14, 2011
  2. AAPL cold go lower next week. It could go <390 easy. But why jump in now OTHER THAN via put options or bear call spreads?

Once again I got out too soon on AAPL calls. This stock is becoming like an ATM machine. Only my rational mind can't fathom these large moves in such a short time with all these gaps, and thus I feel inclined to take profits and reduce risk.

Guess George Soros would have doubled up while I was taking profits.

I probably gave up $9,000 by getting out too soon; but I guess you can't go broke taking a profit.

Of course the other side of that we all know to be:

"The important thing is not whether you are right or wrong but how much you make when you are right (and how much you lose when wrong" (Soros)

#32     Oct 14, 2011
  3. Siri doesn't seem to work that well.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i3MzO_bLCKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#33     Oct 15, 2011
  4. this is the beginning of the end. 50 years from now as we look back from the wasteland we will realize this is the birth of skynet 0.1 :D

#34     Oct 15, 2011
  5. AAPL is going to sell off next week. The 1M Q is: from what levels?

I have bear put spreads and bull calls spread (front/otm) --- will convert accordingly into higher expectancy spreads once I see Monday action. Take profits as they come, and then see if I can catch a large down move by buying ITM puts after vola dissipates a little which I assume it will) .

So far we have at least 2 gaps which are not resolved; the one from Friday "seems" like the most likely to fill. However it is possible these runaway and don't fill until next year; hard to believe that will happen; thus those gap areas are downside targets.

#35     Oct 15, 2011
  6. Are these 1:1 verticals? What strikes?

#36     Oct 15, 2011
  7. Thats what Im betting on but not with options. Im shorting the common and shorted it all the way up. On ET and other internet forums there is such a thing as a perfect trade or perfect pricing but in real life its different. If you met the ET heros in real life Im betting they would be very differwnt then what you thought they were. Trading on ET is not real life trading. Just a bunch of kids playing stock markwt on the internwt or a bunch of scam artists...take your pick.

#37     Oct 15, 2011
  8. yes

+415p/-410p (started as -405p but took small profits in 405p) and rolled)

and

+425c/-435c

Maybe leg out of 410p --- convert to put credit spread (i.e. sell front 420p --- and/or sell 425c if excessively large move/gap higher and convert to bear call spread.

#38     Oct 15, 2011
  9. you people ever hear of "the trend is your friend"? its kinda dumb to try and go against a wall street darling, and more importantly a main street darling. not like netflix that went nuts with its pricing schedule etc. and for those of you thinking there's a Google sized move coming with earnings, thats already priced in. AAPL never moves much on its earnings it might even go down a bit. Google always pulls apple with it into its earnings and you'll have AAPL go sideways if not down in the next 2/3 weeks before traction is established and it continues higher by year end.

<3

#39     Oct 15, 2011
  10. OK, then you're long vol in the condor (short the natural condor). You're long vol into the crush but expecting a big move on lower vol. Just to be clear as you stated you were looking to be short vol.

#40     Oct 16, 2011