Taking Apple (AAPL) short

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by chaosclarity, Oct 9, 2011.

1. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

I have a hard time shorting AAPL because of the legacy of Steve Jobs and the culture he created. I often wonder if the newly released phone,which amounts to the IPhone 4 1/2 , Was only released because Steve Jobs knew his days were numbered and he wanted to see how Tim Cook handles the spotlight with a new product launch.
    That said, I am still saddened by Steve Jobs death,maybe because his pancreatic cancer hit close to home.
    Gotta say, I do find myself wondering how Apple goes along without Steve job's hard to please perfectionist personality. He cut to corners and I admired how he never left any stone unturned. This will be interesting.

#11     Oct 9, 2011
  2. I am short AAPL since 28 Sept and sitting comfortably. No sign of strength yesterday either.

#12     Oct 10, 2011
  3. kivd

kivd

I don't own any apple.
    However I've started putting a small amount of money into long term puts. Its the only way to play a bubble. Shorting AAPL would be a bad decision IMHO because you never know when the bubble will burst, but when it does, those puts will make you a lot of money.

#13     Oct 10, 2011
  4. lwlee

lwlee

Options, since they have a time expiration factor, requires precise timing. Even with LEAPS, I buy 2yr AAPL LEAP puts but the stock in the next 6 months goes to 500, now I'm sweating as time is dwindling. Less time for it to go down.

AAPL up 2.5% premarket today.

#14     Oct 10, 2011
  5. john33

john33

Bubble? Apple has a p/e of 14, with a lot of cash on hand, and destroys earnings estimates every time. For comparison Netflix has a p/e of around 29.

#15     Oct 10, 2011
  6. lwlee

lwlee

Apple gonna finish up 5.1%, +18 points.

For shorts, be careful. We still got earnings coming up. Apple could go past $400.

#16     Oct 10, 2011
  7. I went short AAPL right at the close. Wish me luck!

#17     Oct 10, 2011
  8. lwlee

lwlee

Good luck. What's your stop loss?

Not being prick. Any trade requires some type of "uncle" point.

I had my stop at 10%.

#18     Oct 10, 2011
  9. I was long (4) Oct14 385c overnight (weekend) @2.03 avg. and (2) Oct14 395c @.67

Sold to soon today... hoping AAPL fills the opening gap by Friday so I can get back in and not f-ck it next time, by selling too soon :)

gotta say; it's hard to think AAPL is a short here, OTHER THAN closing the (most likely) "common" gap from Friday expiry on 10/7; don't think this is a breakaway gap that will not fill for a lengthy period; but I have been wrong before.

#19     Oct 10, 2011
  10. I traded aapl for a 2 years.Every time i took a short position on the stock i got my nuts ripped off.
    Look at that chart,just when you think the shorts are in control they push it to higher highs.
    Maybe one day it will be a monster short like nflx,but just not yet.
    i have no idea when and i am tired of trying to time it,i keeping getting my balls squeezed.

#20     Oct 12, 2011