Taking 76K to 500K by Year End

Discussion in 'Journals' started by neke, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neke

neke

Update for Week 2
    ---------------------------------------
    Painful friday to cap a painful week. Lost 5.8K on a trade today.

Balance B/F 73021

Loss for the week (8927)
    ------------------------------------
    Balance C/F: 64094

Number of Trades 25
    Number of Profitable Trades 10

#31     Mar 9, 2007
  2. Neet

Neet

Neke,

Very sorry to hear that.

#32     Mar 9, 2007
  3. You can make it back easily. Just bet bigger next week to claim the gains you almost had this week.

#33     Mar 9, 2007
  4. Sorry to heear....but what did you trade? Entire week seemed to OK at least better than a week before (-416)?

#34     Mar 10, 2007
  5. lwlee

lwlee

When someone says something like that, they want you to fail. You're losing because you don't have the proper setups for current market conditions. I'm all for making big bets but you need to have the patience to wait for the right setup.

#35     Mar 10, 2007
  6. JLB123

JLB123

heh I can tell fickle was just joking :)
    Classic Nick Leeson move.

nontheless a right setup is always a good idea.

Best of luck, Neke.

#36     Mar 10, 2007
  7. lwlee

lwlee

That's cool. But I'm actually hoping that neke accomplishes his goal. Be nice for once to see someone overcome the huge odds and prove the doubters wrong.

#37     Mar 10, 2007

8. Neke, thanks for the journal. So in retrospect, what do you think went wrong on the 5.8K loss? Was this caused by averaging down, loose money management, or a black swan type of gap that you couldn't have forseen? I'm not trying to roast you, but just saying that you should definitely analyze what went wrong in that situation, so as to try and avoid the same mistake later.

If I can throw in my two cents, it seems like with this trade and those damaging options plays from Jan that you are risking too much capital per position, as a % of your account equity.

#38     Mar 10, 2007
  9. neke

neke

Yes, you got it. I pyramided on a loss, and got roasted.

#39     Mar 10, 2007
  10. fildi101

fildi101

neke,

just one word of advice from someone who had similar goals to you last year... when you get near to that 500k, DON'T hold out for the final figure. I've been there, and gave back around 200k in january.. (also on AAPL!).. the temptation to hold on to the positon for that extra few grand is often the killer..

I also trade equity and equity options.. exclusively on AAPL, and have similar targets. went from 200k to just under 600k, but was shooting for 1m and ended up getting burn on the pre-iPhone dip, going back down to 400k... oh well, lesson learned! This year I'm going to be much more conservative, and just shoot for 100% on the year.

Not sure what your strategies are, but I guess they're not a million miles from mine.

edit: just read back a few pages, and your strategies do seem rather different from mine. :) (I sell strangles for income through the year and then place a few big LEAPS trades when the stock capitulates).

GL

#40     Mar 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.