Taking 103K to 1.2million by Year End 2008

Discussion in 'Journals' started by neke, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neke

neke

Just a repeat of what I wrote in some other place:

I learnt to trade by of course trying and failing over the four years from end 1999 to November 2004 when I bottomed. It was after I started keeping detailed records and analysing things I began to develop strategies I thought could work.

If you are new, I guess it will take time to read and digest some of the books and online material on trading and learning to apply them by yourself. Unfortunately I am not in a position to advise whether you should invest at this time or not.

#31     Jan 13, 2008
  2. neke

neke

No, I do not envisage stringing 50 weeks of 5% each. What I said is an average of 5%. If you followed last years figures, it ranged from minus 50% week to +70% week. I shall try to manage the volatility, but no it is not possible to have 5% steady returns like a CD deposit (0.06% a week). Draw-downs are part of the game.

It is a trading journal. Trading involves speculation. If that is what you call gambling, fine. It is not to me: I am not just throwing darts!

#32     Jan 13, 2008
  3. neke

neke

Last year, started with 76K, and withdrew 82K before end of journal, with another 30K after the end. That means the original investment was already out. I stagger the withdrawals: I guess that is the difference.

#33     Jan 13, 2008
  4. if your weekly average is +5%, you will not necessarily compound 103k into $1.2m. you'll likely fall short. you need to get exactly 5% each week with no drawdowns to reach $1.2m.

#34     Jan 13, 2008
  5. neke

neke

I said compounded average, and I meant it

#35     Jan 13, 2008
  6. There is more than a little bit of irony in someone who goes by the name of blackjack007 calling this a gambling journal.

You have made your point, and neke gave you the appropriate response.

OK.
    Now we all know he needs to average 5% per week over the stated time period to make his goals ... that means some weeks he could get +35% and the next two weeks he could be down 10% and 5% respectively and still be ahead of the game.
    Now lets all sit back and see if he can do it.

I certainly hope so, as I also hope for me and everyone else to accomplish their trading goals for 2008.

#36     Jan 13, 2008
  7. Good luck Neke. I'm rooting for you.

#37     Jan 13, 2008
  8. OK, I will join your ride.
    BTW, I noticed there are some ECN brokers around, would you consider use an ECN broker, since they usually offer a cheaper fee.

#38     Jan 15, 2008
  9. Great answer and response. It had become clear from this thread and the last I read ('07) that you have given the whole process much thought and are trading within your risk tolerance. I am happy to see you are minimally affected by comments from others. Stay true to yourself, as that is the only way to trade with conviction!:)

#39     Jan 15, 2008
  10. Good luck, neke ! I will follow your way to Mount Olympus regularly ! :)

#40     Jan 16, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.