Taking 10 minutes to regroup- fat finger trade

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tango29, Nov 10, 2021.

1. tango29

tango29

Cripes, I lifted my mouse to wipe some crap from underneath, and I bumped a button on the side. It's a gaming computer my kids bought me and has a mouse with too many buttons(apparently). I hear the fill tone, look up and am long 20 ES at 4659. No clue which button I hit, but it bumped my default setting by 4 times, or looks like it clicked off 4, 5 contract trades.
    In the second I figured it out, it was a point against me, but immediately popped back up. I bailed with .25 profit. Had I waited a second longer could have had a point, or possibly 8 pts on a quick up move to 67.75, but that would have meant another 1 point of heat first. Also, goes against my rule of if I make a mistake I get out, take a few minutes to settle down, figure out what I screwed up and then move on with the day.
    Anyway, that's my couple minutes of resetting, and ready to get back to it, but first changing out to one of my basic 2 button mice.
    Peace

2. That was a great entry by accident. I imagine you wish you'd still have it on now. LOL. :)

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

get a corded gaming mouse with 2 buttons only, a mouse mat and a corded mechanical keyboard. All In price probably less than 300$
    This will help to keep your sanity and prevents stupid losses by misclicks, breadcrumps in between keys, empty batteries and the likes. Well worth the cash

4. tango29

tango29

I always use a corded mouse. I have never paid anywhere close to $300 for a mouse and keyboard. I haven't had an issue with the less expensive products. Could use a new pad, I always got them for free, but haven't gotten one in a long time.
    Digging up another mouse made me realize I need to get rid of a lot of extra cables, routers, and monitors I have sitting clogging up a closet.

tomorton likes this.
  5. p0box4

p0box4

+1 for corded mouse and keyboard. However i am just using some cheap stuff, nothing special :D. My wireless mouse had some issues every now and then so i went back to wired.

Well done on getting out of your position immediately. Some people panic and freeze or keep the position open in a hope to get out with a profit. The only right thing to do when you make a mistake is get out as fast as you can, hope and prayers have no place in the financial markets.

6. zdreg

zdreg

Professional attitude is to close fat finger error immediately. Depending on luck to bail you out is a common amateur error resulting in big losses.

Laissez Faire and p0box4 like this.
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

i accidentally sold $2mm of tsla stock yesterday near the close.

I found out this morning when I updated my trading blotter. I was down 20k when I figured this out. I ended up 7k. It was a nerve wracking 2 hours to be short 2mm on a 70 vol stock that just sold off 15percent in 2 days until 7am when E*TRADE allows premarket trading.

8. Arnie

Arnie

back in the day one of the traders I worked with was reading a newspaper an unbeknownst to him the bottom of the page kept hitting his keyboard resulting in multiple fills in the pre.

9. tango29

tango29

That would have been a pants full here. 20 ES with market open I can deal with, but finding a significant position I didn't know about, that is another story.
    I carried 16 crude contracts overnight once, but I knew about it, as well as being in profit at least when I went to bed. It was a good morning, but admittedly not a great nights sleep.
    Since that one I haven't carried any size overnight in what are normally my day trade products.

10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I don’t day trade at all. I was planning on carrying 200k of delta to hedge my options position and went the other way by a factor of 10. Why you shouldn’t trade while in a meeting!

#10     Nov 10, 2021
    tomorton likes this.