"take the money and run" type market

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Warrior4g, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Can you buy groceries for the weekend? I am concerned about you.

#11     Aug 30, 2007
  2. rzepe93

rzepe93

This is why you are an idiot. They should get excited over making $100 a day. if you can do that with one contract then when you get to 10 contracts you're making 250k a year. If you think that's a low number I've obviously underestimated you skills. But I doubt it.

#12     Aug 30, 2007
  3. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

i make more selling cars than that freaking $400 tiny profit.

#13     Aug 30, 2007
  4. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

it's not even worth the time.

#14     Aug 30, 2007
  5. Steve makes some valid points. however,my opinion is based on the current market conditions. of course yesterday was an anomoly but consistency is key to a traders success so making 400-600 perday in this environment with low levels of stress is a good thing. i can actually do more but this market can get whipsawed at the tuen of a time and i see amny veteran traders who are very good,blow up by over trading. they all say the same thing:'i should have walked away when i was up earlier". trading is all about discipline and money management so it is unrealistic to say that going that extra mile everyday will pay dividends. trading is different than any other job because going the extra mile can cause one to lose money whereas other occupations reward you for that. again,this is based on current market conditions and my opion is just that,an opinion.

#15     Aug 30, 2007
  6. please excuse my spelling in the above post.

#16     Aug 30, 2007
  7. Like I said before, your opinion on the matter is going to handicap you in the long run. There was a period of time where I could make $300/day with my eyes closed almost and once you start doing that consistently it feels pretty good. Thing is though, its impossible to improve if you are complacent and content (and afraid of losing). Current conditions are just fine, sure volitility is down a bit from last couple weeks but the Vix is at 25! I made $230,000 last year daytrading when the vix was between 9-15 the whole year.

Enforcer, I hear what you are saying man, but believe me on this one, there is a lot of money to be made in this market. Dont cut yourself short. And dont only use guys in your office as a barometer. Maybe they arent that good of traders? If todays action isnt your strength, study it and try and learn why that is.

Finally, you will always be in a position to lose money if you are in trades, the goal is to get good enough where sticking around and being patient consistently pay off. I would never have gotten over the $300/day hump if I didnt continually push myself.

#17     Aug 30, 2007
  8. Steve,
    believe me i appreciate your response and you make great points which i take to heart. its just that the past couple of weeks have been very good for me by walking away after a good trade or two. that said,you make plenty of sense and perhaps i could improve my skills by upping the ante so to speak. interesting how you say "complacent". thats a great point as i am in a comfort zone.
    pm me if you can,i have a few questions.

#18     Aug 30, 2007
  9. You make 400 one day, get cocky, screw up, and lose 800 the next day

#19     Aug 30, 2007
  10. i never take the market for granted no matter how good i think i am.

#20     Aug 30, 2007