Take a guess on countries future

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Genevian Speculator, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

China is the surest bet. India probably a close second (don't hear much problems w/rampant crime and violence for being a third world country). Canada looks pretty promising, Chile's doing it right. I think a few spots in Africa have a shot this upcoming decade(s).

Much of the western world is crumbling, they've grown fat and lazy & a lot of places have instituted pretty xenophobic attitudes that'll put off top talent.

#11     Feb 13, 2020
    comagnum and Ak7373 like this.
  2. Singapore

#12     Feb 13, 2020
    Genevian Speculator likes this.
  3. ironchef

ironchef

In spite of the challenges we faced, the US's future is still very bright compare to China and India because if you are a top talent anywhere in the world, you want to be in the US for your tomorrow. Just look at how many folks and their descendants from India, China, Africa, Middle East became prominent scientists, CEOs, Senators, Governors... In spite of our ills and discriminations, nowhere in the world will you find a more inclusive society.

I would be hard pressed to find any top US talents jumping up and down wanting to immigrate to China or India.

#13     Feb 13, 2020
  4. kandlekid

kandlekid

Considering where they've come from and where they are now, I would agree. A lot of western investment helps too :) Go to any big Russian city, like Moscow or St. Petersburg, and you'll see little difference from big western cities. They've got bars, nightclubs, etc ... megamarts (e.g. Lenta, Okey), lots of transportation options (metro, bus, taxi, trolleybus, tram). Everybody is on their smartphone, just like here (kind of a shame, actually). Go online to yandex taxi, and you'll have a ride to the airport in four minutes, for about $10.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    #14     Feb 14, 2020
    Genevian Speculator and SteveM like this.
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

Which is why I said the "west" in my comment. The US is still salvageable, but other countries which have instituted similar policies to ours for far longer or can't afford it due to their size or economies are already in a downward spiral. We keep our current trend and we'll head in that direction ourselves.

It's difficult w/o knowing the acceptance/rejection ratio if our country is in fact "the most inclusive". By cheer numbers, sure, but that's hardly the correct metric. At present I'd argue there are even more inclusive countries such as Canada, Australia or or a few spots in Europe. It's no secret we've lost tons of grad school international students to our neighbors up north. It's also no secret that by virtue of its cheer size and education, China already has a bulk of that top world talent w/o having to import it.

https://www.un.org/en/development/d...eport/docs/MigrationReport2017_Highlights.pdf
    https://www.insidehighered.com/news...-international-enrollments-after-years-growth
    https://www.cato.org/blog/immigration-application-denials-jump-37-percent-under-trump
    upload_2020-2-14_7-37-15.png

#15     Feb 14, 2020
  6. %%
    Good points. I remember when i was a kid, my banker dad brought home a NYSE bank promotion product. I still have some of that.What?? Tulip Time flatware//forks, stainless steel spoons......Ray D said cash =trash. I like $$ more than that, but i see his points LOL. I recycle Red Bull energy drink cans some also. Its a new energy drink made by Swiss...............................................................:caution::caution:,:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:Russia make alot of ammo they sell in US; but i like Swiss or Mexican,US brand more .Thanks

#16     Feb 14, 2020
  7. ironchef

ironchef

What makes the US different is we openly talk about race, for and against. In other countries, it is tabooed to talk about race and national origins, and the discrimination is under the surface, you have to look hard to find it but it is there.

I challenge you to name a CEO of a publicly traded major corporation in Canada, Australia or Europe that is run by an Indian, a Chinese, a black or an African. In the US, if you are capable, irregardless of race or origin, you have a shot: Pepsi, Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, AMD, MRK..... just to name a few.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    #17     Feb 14, 2020
  8. Overnight

Overnight

Grrr, it is "regardless", not "irregardless". :-\

#18     Feb 14, 2020
  9. Thiam from Credit Suisse. He's resigning however. But tjere are also the Hayeks from Swatch Group

#19     Feb 15, 2020
    ironchef likes this.
  10. Cuddles

Cuddles

You make it sound like foreign CEO's has always been the norm and not a 10-15 yr phenomenon in the US.

#20     Feb 15, 2020