TA software for multi monitors

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Jayford, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Wow!! I thought I was in the minority about this. Perhaps this is why Ensign doesn't have a forum!!! Keep the naysayers at bay, so to speak!!! :eek:

st

#31     Feb 7, 2006
  2. Jerry,

While you are lurking here, what's your view on implementing features that will allow hiding the title bars, window boarders, etc., and add sticky boarders as well? Saves a lot of real estate.

For reference, sticky boarders allow you to place windows in a 'p'urt neer' fashion, and then when you hit the "freeze' button, it will align align all the windows perfectly and freeze them in place as to not inadvertently delete/move one. It's slicker than snot on a brass door knob!

Thanks,

st

#32     Feb 7, 2006
  3. Sticky borders - thats already there. If you are using QT and do not have it, go to OPTIONS/Edit Preferences menu, MISC tab, and enable "Window Move/Size Snap" and adjust the sensitivity.

As for hiding title bars, etc, not too crazy about that idea. QT already uses as little of white space as possible. Window borders do not take up much, and if you want them smaller, you can modify your Windows setup to make them smaller. Same goes for the captions. We like the ability to just click and draw on the charts. If captions are removed, then click and move would have to move the window, instead of draw.

#33     Feb 7, 2006
  4. TGM

TGM

No-- he has faced criticism ---even from his cult following. He does NOT take criticism well. But the product is well priced ---for now. With IB and Ensign ---I have been amazed at the functionality. I am used to very expensive programs (CQG and Reuters etc) and the Ensign/IB solution works well for the money. I do not like switching programs. I did play with Tradestation for a year. I thougth it was ripoff ----but now it is reasonable. What pissed me off was that Tradestation lied about Eurex --to me when I signed up with them. Plus IB's universal account Blows them away IMO. I have nothing against Tradestation at these prices ---if you are just trading a couple asset classes.

Ensigns big kicker is the DTN backfill ---which is a good deal for IB subscribers. Howard told me he was adding FXCM as a datafeed---to bring more customers. That would be HUGE for him. I told him they will be bitching about one thing ---multimonitor limitation. One thing ---I told him to do and he grudgingly accepted it had been considered is to allow a New Ensign on Every monitor up to a certain number of monitors for each subscriber (ala -Tradestation and CQG). I like the Neoticker floating windows myself. But he needs to hire some cheap programmers and just blast off into a migration to a better platform. He cannot use the Current platform forever. He/they are getting bitched at everday.

Forty bucks a month is nothing for a GOOD program---but you have to stay good!

I may run Quotetracker and Ensign side by side and see. I like the quotracker quote display. But I hate messing with new programs. I have been at this for years and I hate changing $h1t!

TGM

#34     Feb 7, 2006

5. When will I ever learn??? I should have just asked where the sticky boarder feature was located, rather than if. I should know by now that if QT doesn't have it, it probably hasn't been invented yet! :D

Thanks for your valuable input!!

Regards,

st

#35     Feb 7, 2006
  6. [ [/B][/QUOTE]

In Chart setup, you can set the maximum size the window can grow instead of it going full screen. But I agree, that is a poor excuse of a fix for free floating windows and not the topic at hand.

Regards,

st [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have used that now that you mention it. Problem is that it doesn't quite work for windows along the border of one screen as part will be on another screen when maxed. Good idea for placing lots of small windows on my most southern screen (the one to the right in my office). That would work. Sorta. Thanks for reminding me.

Jay

#36     Feb 7, 2006
    #37     Feb 7, 2006
  8. TGM

TGM

"*When did this begin? When I approached him this past December about multiple installs, he said no way. That's when I finally decided to go to TradeStation being they had just offered their platform/charting for free. And the software isn't locked to one computer like Ensign is. QT is locked as well, but they give you three keys, and they have been very understanding and receptive to any issues that may arise from that. "

He has YET to actually do it! But they have admitted they must do something ---someday!

hehehe

we will see

I may look at tradestation again. But I did not like a few things about ole tradestation!

#38     Feb 7, 2006
  9. When I was using Ensign along with QT, the DTN backfill with Ensign
    was always missing about 5-min of backfill which didn't help out
    on my 1-min charts. QT doesn't have that problem (using IQFeed as
    my backfill). I could backfill again after waiting 5-min or so but it
    was a hassle.

Another reason for me to say bye bye to Ensign. Otherwise I really
    liked Ensign
    . Has a lot of features that QT could use but I don't really
    need them so what the heck...

But I sure do miss that "ticking" sound that Ensign would make ...:p

#39     Feb 7, 2006
  10. TGM

TGM

FWIW. Neoticker is another program ---people RAGE about---but I have never used it and do not know how good it is with IB backfil or if they have other backfil options.

#40     Feb 7, 2006