TA - Self-fulfilling prophesy?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by rodden, Nov 30, 2003.

1. All kinds of TA work for different people. 90% of the time its something rather complicated. 5 different things have to come together for "confluence".

#41     Dec 1, 2003
  2. Think of just like how much (complicated) maths learned for 10+ years would be actually used in our daily life. :confused: :mad: :D

#42     Dec 1, 2003
  3. rodden

rodden

Let me ponder this post and get back to you, Harry - I have too many distractions to deal with at the moment to allow me to fully appreciate your thoughts.

#43     Dec 1, 2003
  4. rodden

rodden

What I'm attempting to consider is the extent to which "reflexivity" affects the action-reaction relationship.

Thanks for the Soros' material. Still trying to get time to study it thoroughly. Soros' has had a lifelong interest in Philosophy. He describes himself as a "failed philosopher" . He's an excellent thinker.

#44     Dec 1, 2003
  5. weld1

weld1

YOU GUYS ARE THINKING WAY TOO MUCH, I GUESS THE MORE MONEY U TRADE THE MORE COMPLEX IT NEEDS TO BE??? A GUY TOLD ME LAST YEAR TO KEEP IT SIMPLE AND WATCH HOW A STOCK REACTS TO SUPPORT AND RESISTANCE. IN THAT IF I SEE A GOOD PATTERN I GET IN. SOMETIMES I EVEN MAKE MONEY! THIS FIBONACCI THING IS WAY TOO DEEP FOR ME. I WISH I COULD UNDERSTAND IT. MAYBE I WILL IN THE FUTURE. I LIKE READING THE INTERESTING POSTS. GOOD LUCK TO US ALL

#45     Dec 1, 2003
  6. ig0r

ig0r

Weld1, you'll find all the success you could ever want by sticking to what your buddy told you. That's where it's at, understanding the market, not studying complex TA and fibonacci, etc. etc.

#46     Dec 1, 2003

7. http://www.geocities.com/ecocorner/intelarea/greycell.html

Many Soros' articles are here, including "A Failed Philosopher Tries Again".

Take your time :) !

#47     Dec 1, 2003
  8. And how to define SIMPLY (that is to say PRECISELY) such a "GOOD PATTERN" :D. Let's say that triangle is simple pattern, ok, but TRADING triangle is not so simple because of breakout failure just for example. So SIMPLE is only apparent when one disguises it under FUZZYNESS OF TERM, but when one must PRECISE what it REALLY MEANS (OPERATIONALLY FOR EXECUTION OF THE REAL TRADE) effective COMPLEXITY APPEARS. If it was so SIMPLE it would be TOTALLY MECHANISABLE.

#48     Dec 2, 2003
  9. TA has never worked for me. I have been trading for 8 years now (Day trading that is). I remember when I hit my first funk, I read all kinds of TA books and tried all kinds of new trading ideas. I ended up staying in that funk for an extra year because I wasn't a good TA trader. I believe patience is a virtue when it comes to using TA.
    I came to the realization that as "Day Trader" stocks move up and down everday. And that all kinds of levels are meant to broken. Who could of used TA back in May and said that CTX or Len would be trading over $100 a share?
    Like I said , I was never a good TA trader and to those who use and are successul I envy you.

#49     Dec 2, 2003
  10. Hey Harry Long time since we spoke. I would define simple as the fact that I can trade off of a line chart with just volume on it and have a statistical edge that will "skim" money to my account over the long run. TA, Quant, understanding market Psych, etc etc etc is all summed up the same way by saying:

Have a statistical edge. You have to be the house when it comes to "gambling" in the stock market or any market. My edge is not from complex TA...or fast computer programs. Its from being a good tape reader that can feel the market pulse. I use charts because they are visual representations of accumulation or distribution that I can then gather even more information from as to the strength of my bet. The other secret is that great traders take small losses by being disciplined enough to only take trades that require a small movement in the other direction of the trade to tell the trader he is wrong. Finally a great trader never bets his account on one great trade he has the skills to and discipline to, "eat the elephant bit by bit" over many trades thus never allowing the market to destroy him with one statistical anomaly.

My statistical edge is a combo, once again of what I wrote above. I have learned over the years where the inflection points of the stocks that I am trading are. Where and when the stocks will get buyers or sellers and abnormal volume/movement will appear after quiet days. If I'm wrong I know how to get out fast with a small loss. Over time I skim they like a mo for. Now if you want to sit down with me and build a computer model that can mirror what I do, I would be happy to have u do it. I wouldn't mind going to the movies all day and coming home and seeing what my Pent 4 made for me each day. Until that time I will have to keep the controls.

#50     Dec 2, 2003