TA - Self-fulfilling prophesy?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by rodden, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Worry about it later, not today - at least! :D

#21     Dec 1, 2003
  2. Complex feedback systems:

http://www.albany.edu/cpr/sds/

:confused: :mad: :)

#22     Dec 1, 2003
  3. TA has always been predominant in the past also:

In 1994 a paper untitled "Why diversification doesn't work" a hedge fund manager reminds that financial thoughts split between three schools: Fundamental, Technical and Quant. He remarked : "Until the early 1970s, the fundamental and technical schools supplied the ideas and methods that sophisticated investors used to make decisions. But recently, the Quant school has captured the Bulk of academic and professional attention."

And it is not only self-fulfilling prophecy because my model is based on RATIONAL model NOT OF THE CROWD but of THE "INVISIBLE HAND" :D so the crowd just follow. This is a DUAL REALITY and you only see one facette (in fact you only see the SHADOW of the other so that's it is FUZZY) the other is yes INVISIBLE to you that's why it is so funny for me : I have only applied my model to present (see "how the 1st day of the month of November packed information for half of the month" http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24706 & http://tinyurl.com/x6hj) and not to so far past yet :).
    BTW my problem would be to see if my model worked the same in the 1950/1920 ;). I'm still looking for datas that are reliable: yahoo is bugged for that I don't trust them.

#23     Dec 1, 2003
  4. rodden

rodden

Yes, you are.

And how about those derivatives? Who knows how they'll play out long term?

#24     Dec 1, 2003
  5. rodden

rodden

Sounds like you're not finding things overwhelming yet.

#25     Dec 1, 2003
  6. rodden

rodden

Thanks.

Just added this site to my favorites. I'll check it out it in detail later.

#26     Dec 1, 2003
  7. No, the things I found are not overwelming! :mad:

PS: They are actually better. :D

:)

#27     Dec 1, 2003
  8. rodden

rodden

OK, Harry - TA has been around for a long time, but like all technical phenomena, it develops at an exponential rate. The TA of 1970 would seem pretty naive by today's standards. Soon today's TA environment will be 'the good old days when things were so simple'.

My argument is that TA will eventually become so complex (and I know complexity/simplicity is one of your interests) that it will be unmanageable.

When TA gets to this level of difficulty, it will be handed over to computers; then we'll be in real danger.

#28     Dec 1, 2003
  9. rodden

rodden

So the complexity hasn't bothered you yet - but keep an eye on how the investing public views what's going on. I think they are less enthusiastic about the market than they would be if it were more comprehensible. The U.S. economic fundamentals are fantastic, but let's see how this RSP season goes.

#29     Dec 1, 2003
  10. Drifting away from reality is when I bought some RMBS at 480 and sold it at 520, in one day. That stock had 30 point daily ranges back then.:eek:

But you are right, fundi's do win out in the end. But TA can make an awful lot of money before that:D

I don't care too much why it works, sad to say, I just want to know what other traders watch, and act accordingly.

Regards
    Oddi

#30     Dec 1, 2003