TA of individual stocks is pointless

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by shark, Jun 2, 2010.

1. deaddog

deaddog

Can you explain how you are attempting to use TA so we can see why you consider it worthless?

#11     Jun 2, 2010
  2. Yes you are making yourself clearer and it is now obvious your knowledge of technical analysis is limited to old school trend lines and simple pattern recognition. Just to let you know, those are about as worthless as moving averages, fib retracement levels & Gann waves.

If you are tracking stocks, I agree that tracking the Index along side the stock will give you a great comparison but it will not give you the exact price points associated with the exact reversals. Only the stock price and its specific and unique oscillations themselves will do that. So many traders think they can use generalities and probabilities to trade and that there is no such thing as being exact. What a crock. Exact price points and their associated oscillations have more meaning than you will ever imagine.

If you are tracking commodities or futures, good luck with making generalities there. This is one of the main reasons 95% of traders fail.

#12     Jun 2, 2010
  3. There are still stocks that move intraday with little correlation to the market, but in a way you are right, since the 2008 crash , the stocks that move together with the market has increased dramatically. Whereas in the past you can readily find stocks doing their own thing, now its harder. I think a lot of this has to do with the illiquidity that has taken place especially in the small caps

#13     Jun 2, 2010
  4. Shark- one of the lamest posts I have ever seen...

#14     Jun 13, 2010
  5. zdreg

zdreg

yours is one of the lamest response by a newbie. like children a newbie
    in most cases should be seen but not heard especially when they offer an opinion lacking in specifics.

---------------------------------

to shark why did u not post to an existing thread instead of a new thread?

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=197367

#15     Jun 13, 2010
  6. I disagree, I love listening to children, they are icing on the cake of life.

#16     Jun 13, 2010
  7. BartS

BartS

I would say that more money is made in stocks that outperform the market than in stocks that have a higher correlation?

I'd say that had you bought a higher low in SNDK VMW or even LVS when the market was making a lower low on the 25th of may you'd be sitting pretty now....

Looking for those inefficiencies would be a great way to gain an edge, in any timeframe.

#17     Jun 13, 2010
  8. zdreg

zdreg

well said. children can act foolish and say foolish things as much they want. that is the beauty of children.

#18     Jun 13, 2010