T1 line - How Much?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by equity_guy, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Joe

Joe

For some reason though when ever I download anything the max I have ever seen is 250 KBps and the average is around 120 KBps. Anyone know why this is??

#21     Nov 3, 2005
  2. I have both a DSL modem and a cable modem which I use to (help) prevent an ISP outage from killing my trading system. I tried a dual WAN router -- BAD idea. It's still a single point of failure -- if the router dies your connectivity dies too.

Instead I now have two separate routers one for each connection (DSL, cable modem) and two ethernet cards in my trading machine. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but if I unplug one of them Windows XP automatically switches all connections to the other card. I use IB and TWS generally reconnects within 10 seconds (maybe less now -- I haven't tried it since they made enhancements to reconnection logic).

I pay $45 a month for the cable and $30 a month for the DSL. Definitely worth it....

SSB

#22     Nov 3, 2005
  3. And, if one happens to have cable in a townhome or other high density development,
    it's also noticable about two hours after market-end=schools-out, PT, in a large metro area.

Also, cable much more prone to power interruptions than phone line, IMO.

#23     Nov 3, 2005
  4. nitro

nitro

I got 8.57 Mbps and 372 kbps.

nitro

#24     Nov 3, 2005
  5. are you going to say what you are using or do you want us to guess?

i have cable modem and dsl for back up and the cable is faster.

verizon fios is coming soon....i'm half a mile away from getting it now :mad:

Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps $34.95 - $39.95

Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps $44.95 - $49.95

Up to 30 Mbps/5 Mbps $179.95 - $199.95

http://www22.verizon.com/FiOSforhome/channels/FiOS/root/package.aspx

#25     Nov 3, 2005
  6. nitro

nitro

Not sure what you mean. Let me be more clear:

This is a Comcast Cable connection. The 8.53 Mbps is down. The 372 kbps is up.

There are people in Chicago that can get massive download speeds of 10 Mbps from RCN for like $40/M. You need to be near "The L" apparently to qualify as the fibre is somehow near it.

I have extensive experience with all these technologies. I can safely tell you that Cable is less reliable than a good business DSL, but DSL is not as fast as Cable.

For execution only and relatively small amounts of data traffic, nothing beats a PTP T1 because of low latency. Thing is, you are only as fast as the quality/speed of the data coming to you.

nitro

#26     Nov 3, 2005
  7. im at about 4.0 down and 300 up in remote san diego for my cable and 1.2 and 100 for dsl backup
    at 300k shares a day manually its no problem taking down pikers like nitro and his 500 lots of qcom no matter how fast their connection is..... LOL

#27     Nov 3, 2005
  8. it looks like we have an old internet connection catfight

thanks

#28     Nov 3, 2005
  9. A T-1 can be run to most places. A problem may arise if your local phone company does not have the facilities, mux or interface for a T-1 at your location. In this case, it is mostly resolvable, but it will raise your install fees substantially. If you have phone service with features (almost all phone lines running into residences now are IP based anyway). You can ask your local phone company if they provide the service and, if they do, then get it quoted.

Good luck.

#29     Dec 9, 2005
  10. A dedicated PTP private, protect T-1 line running from Lincoln Park (say... Armitage to CBOT) will run you about $300 per month through Ameritech. You will have to throw in another $1,000 for two Cisco routers with WIC's.

Good luck.

#30     Dec 9, 2005