T1 line - How Much?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by equity_guy, Nov 2, 2005.

1. ozzy

ozzy

T1?

No thanks. I'll stick with my 10 MB/s cable internet which costs me $40/month.

#11     Nov 3, 2005
  2. Bsulli

Bsulli

We use a business class of service from the cable company in Dallas. Don't know if the service is offered in your area, but we are guarnteed minimum bandwidth over other users on our segment of the cable. We never see delays at all on our line. Pay 75.00 a month total. 6mb upper with a 4mb minimum. Have tested it extensively and it never drops below the minimum.

I have used t1's on many internet apps and suggest if you go that route to request that it be setup using "B8ZS with ESF" on the line to get the max of 1.544. By default the providers use "AMI D4" encoding which only provides 1.536 max.

Additionally request that they use what is called a smart jack at the demark. Allows for line loop testing if there is a problem. On the router use an integrated DSU/CSU to elimnate one external device for the t1.

Good luck
    Bsulli

#12     Nov 3, 2005
  3. TGregg

TGregg

And back it up with DSL just in case for another 40 or 50 bucks a month and you're golden, IMO.

#13     Nov 3, 2005
  4. You can't really compare the two.

You can get a point-to-point T1 that directly connects you to your broker (assuming they allow it), no ISP/internet involved. You can't get any more direct that that. FT71 seems to have extensive experience with this.

I agree that a T1 to your ISP probably isnt the best solution because of the cost vs the alternatives but it should be much more reliable than a DSL or cable modem solution. If your internet connection is that important to you then that's what it costs otherwise no need to go there.

#14     Nov 3, 2005
  5. jumper

jumper

The point that winter made is exactly the difference. It doesn't matter if your cable is 10000000000mb if it gets delayed or dropped running through the internet. A PTP T1 will run straight to the source. For the hard core professional, that is worth the $400-? That could be the profit on one trade.

#15     Nov 3, 2005
  6. slacker

slacker

I am looking into this as well but I do not need a full T1.

I am considering a Dual DSL Router. If one DSL line goes down the traffic is switched to the other remaining line.

Load balancing results in increased bandwidth (or so they say...)

Anyone with experience using a Dual DSL alternative to a T1?

Thanks,

#16     Nov 3, 2005
  7. I would recommend going with 2 different technologies, e.g. DSL and cable modem if possible. If you get 2 DSL circuits with the same ILEC or CLEC the odds of them having a problem that affects both lines is much greater then a double-failure if you went with two different technologies. Search on "DUAL WAN" for previous threads on the subject.

#17     Nov 3, 2005
  8. Joe

Joe

#18     Nov 3, 2005
  9. 3.68 download aand 370 upload comcast cable modem. i ahve both dsl and cable and cable seems much faster

#19     Nov 3, 2005
  10. T1 is superior. theoretical #'s on cable mean jack. gamers know that servers run via T1 have less latency and superior playability. same applies to trading platform.

3 seconds is a long time in trading, and tho cable connection may still be on, connection speed can temporarily gap down to analog modem level for short periods of time.

tho that might not matter for most traders.

#20     Nov 3, 2005