T1 line - How Much?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by equity_guy, Nov 2, 2005.

1. How much do they run? Install? Monthly?

2. Since we're on the subject, I've wondered if one has to be a 'certain' distance from the phone company installations like with DSL? Can you sign up for a T1 from some place 10 miles out of town?

3. balda

balda

This is some general info from DSLEXTREME.com

A T1 or DS1 line is a private, dedicated line that goes directly from your office to your Internet Service Provider (ISP), providing transmission at 1.544Mbps, roughly 60 times more data than a normal residential modem. It is also extremely reliable, much more reliable than an analog modem. This speed is guaranteed at any distance, but the farther you are the more expensive the T1. Generally speaking, the cost of a T1 ranges about $400 - $800.

Depending on what they are doing, a T1 line can generally handle quite a few people. For general browsing, hundreds of users are easily able to share a T1 line comfortably.

Unlike a DSL connection, a T1's dedicated connection provides guaranteed bandwidth, since the line is not shared with other users. Unlike the requirements needed to get DSL, anyone can get a T1. The T1 / DS1 standard is used in the North American and Japanese marketplaces.

4. jumper

jumper

Depending on how many circuits you are running through, the true cost is more like $500-1200. And I'm assuming you are talking about PTP. If you sign up for a 2-3 yr contract, you can negotiate them to throw in the installation for free. One year contracts usually run about $300-600 for installation.

From my experience, if you find a good reputable provider with a good backbone, it's the most reliable connection around. The speed is guaranteed.

5. Allegra

Allegra

Is the T1 for a company your setting up or for you going into your home?

6. Thanks for the above info

In my home. I live in chicago downtown (lincoln park). I'm going to start trading on my own remote and because of my scalping style in need speed assurance.

7. chud

chud

This is probably a dumb question but why get a T1 (1.5 Mbps) for $400-$800 when the $40 cable modem I use always tests above 4.0 Mbps and has experienced one outage in the last 2 years?

8. The performance of cable varies greatly depending upon the number of users on the circuit. I found that early am were no problems, but right about the time people started waking up I would notice some delays in the system.

9. Yeah, I'm going to try with my cable modem for the first month and see how it works. I've just always been in a prop shop with a super fast connection so I wanted some info the cable modem didn't pan out. Also, I might be joined by 1 or 2 other guys to trade in the same spot and split the cost.

What are some of the experiences out there of trading remote on a T1 line vs cable?

Thanks

10. Not dumb, but the cable isn't symmetrical, and the speed is highly variable. Plus, the upstream fig is usually 200-400k.

#10     Nov 3, 2005