T-bond now in historical high, how much higher can it go?

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by blnbr, Dec 18, 2011.

1. I've asked myself the same question. Why when I have zero upside potential would I want to risk it for 3%? If we have gotten to where 3% is good then I don't have enough money to play.

#11     Dec 19, 2011
  2. and I think that's the fed's idea, make it so low that you will buy an apartment building, start a restaurant or at least buy a stock.

#12     Dec 19, 2011
  3. JJTC

JJTC

I know I took a short position using options on TLT late yesterday, it didn't turn out so well. Gonna give it another day to turn around then take my medicine.

#13     Dec 19, 2011
  4. How much higher? A lot higher than you think. Don't fight the Fed.

#14     Dec 19, 2011
  5. well right now your options are buy european debt and suck it when they tell you they are only going to give you half your money back, or buy us debt and wait until they tell everyone they are only getting half their money in europe and then buy it after the haircuts.

#15     Dec 19, 2011
  6. blnbr

blnbr

I almost bot a put too. It's just a matter of time, TLT will eventually come back down.

Yep, "When" is the tricky part.

#16     Dec 19, 2011
  7. bone

bone

Aren't you looking for funding for some sort of solar trading scheme ? Fixed Income might not be your forte based upon your statement..

Given Solyndra and the rest a compelling case could be argued that solar is a scam " lemming effect" and a ripoff. Same for carbon credits and the rest - guaranteed to fail since China and the US are not going along for the ride apparently.

#17     Dec 19, 2011
  8. Yep, been there, done that, have the t-shirt... As someone said on another forum, if you think smth makes sense in Japan, do the exact opposite. That's why they call it Napaj.

#18     Dec 20, 2011
  9. Butterball

Butterball

LOL So true.

#19     Dec 20, 2011
  10. Exactly that´s the point of the FED...:)

By the way: how many US government bonds are expiring in January 2012? Where are these investors moving their monies? Into cash? At an inflation rate of > 1.5% yoy? I don´t think negative real interest rates are an invitation to reinvest into the bond markets - except corporate bond markets (except bonds issues by banksters...)

#20     Dec 20, 2011