T/A Trading Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Rashid_G., Jan 17, 2010.

1. Since you, me and ammo are complete trendline freaks, it warrants me to make an uninvited comment or two. Your charts look good but ya can't rely 100% on TL alone. Learn to use support/resistance in conjunction with those TL to come up with important confluence zones, which you can then base your stops on. For example, you can get out once it moves out of this zone.

Might I also suggest that you start measuring momentum. Perhaps the easiest way to achieve this is via "measured move". Measured moves, when considered within a predefined timeline, is a very usuful way to see whether momentum is gaining or waning.

Good luck!

#21     Jan 26, 2010
  2. ammo

ammo

sal, could you post an example of the time line momentum indicator example

#22     Jan 26, 2010
  3. ammo

ammo

a little before 11 cst the es rose to 97 and started to peter out,there was res there on an spx chart, it broke thru a little for the next 2 hrs,11-1 cst on 17 out of 20 days a month is sort of a shakeout ,the es rose to 1100 and failed to go higher , the next res was 1102,i had an offer there but it never touched,the chart below shows the waining interest or increased selling and lack of buyers,if u sat and watched that ,u could have sat on a trade and waited for it to play out, the selling continued and u had no reason to close the trade except for end of day flat,or 87 supp line

#23     Jan 26, 2010
  4. ammo

ammo

heres the 97 and 02 res

#24     Jan 26, 2010
  5. ammo

ammo

heres the uvol dvol, 11 am ratio was 2/1 up, 12 noon was 19/11 up, not much better but it stopped rising,1 pm 5/4 up , sellers were increasing, after that dvol took over uvol and never looked back, if you were watching this you have confirmation that its not a head fake and you have no reason to cover a short or get long

#25     Jan 26, 2010
  6. ammo and sal,

Thanks for the pointers... I do use TL's a lot. Key problem for me is being patient enough to let them develop. Short ones get killed fast. Too much anxiety right after open. The u/d vol probably helps the conviction and will look at those.. Also most market days have 2 or 3 waves max which is the reason a couple of trades (PATIENTLY WAITED FOR) is all one needs.. Today there were clearly 2 both of which I took some of but the damage was done early..

I'll probably do better if I took a snapshot and analyzed periodically rather than watch the vibrating thingy..

Lastly on Trendlines, do you have a length, time-wise, a Trendline should be to be useful? Short ones are frequently broken and then price continues as happened right after the first 1810 NQ touch on this chart..

Bottom line, need more patience and also spend more time on the Hourly and Daily..

#26     Jan 26, 2010
  7. Good points.. a trade in a wrong location is dead regardless of stop.. With this thinking a my small stops are purely to allow me to survive long enough to get the hang of better trade location...

A measured move depends on current volatility?? After the sleep from mid Nov to late Dec hasn't a measured move changed?

#27     Jan 26, 2010
  8. ammo

ammo

nq monthly, gave u negative bias in oct , followed broken supp as res and now has broken thru more recent res, more neg bias

#28     Jan 26, 2010
  9. ammo

ammo

nq weekly start looking for supp areas after new break

#29     Jan 26, 2010
  10. ammo

ammo

nq daily ,draw some more lines

#30     Jan 26, 2010