T+1 starts the end of May. Does that mean in a cash account you can do 1 buy/sell each day?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by David Donner, Apr 22, 2024.

1. With T+1 settlement, does that mean you can, IN A CASH ACCOUNT, lets say, buy a stock in the after hours session and sell it the next day, then use all the proceeds from the sale to buy another stock, and sell it the next day, then use all the process from that sale to buy another.... etc, etc ,etc?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

I've been out of the loop, since I've been on the road...No shit, they actually upgraded T+3 to T+1?

Happy days!

padutrader likes this.
  3. kandlekid

kandlekid

I hope I understood you correctly. You could sell it whenever. It means that if you close a position, it will settle to cash the next business day, enabling a withdrawal, etc. You don't need your trades to settle to cash to trade multiple times per day. The funds are made available for another trade as soon as you close your position.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    padutrader likes this.
  4. kandlekid

kandlekid

Not yet. May28th.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Sorry, it is a bit extended. :) But you know I had to...

6. padutrader

padutrader

we have been on T+1 Since as long as i can remember.

India is definitely ahead here

7. R1234

R1234

Maybe I'm mistaken, but what you describe sounds like T+0, not the T+1 that is coming.

Let's say that in a cash account you buy a stock for the full value of the account and sell the whole position an hour later, that cash will not be settled during the same session, and you cannot buy/sell, buy/sell the whole account value multiple times in the same session.

It will be fully settled and ready for a new trade the next day's open.

Maybe I am understanding it incorrectly - please correct me if I am.

8. So it means that each day you can exit an existing position that is using all the cash in the account in the morning and buy it back later in the day, and repeat that every market day?

9. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

All, you still need to wait for settlement. Whatever day you close your long positions, you will get back your buying power the next day. T+1 is Trade date plus 1 day. Not same day.

10. With most brokers, If you sell on Monday Morning, then rebuy Monday in after hours, every day, should it not be a problem? If the rebuy is sold the same day, then it is freeriding, which is a violation, because the rebuy hasnt settled the T+1 until the next day. But since it would be sold the next day, wouldnt it be ok?

#10     Apr 23, 2024