systems that work

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by toddmay, Apr 27, 2005.

1. You mean that you have to be a real Pro to cosily work with your commercial "6 months or more under the water" gismo's?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

#11     Apr 28, 2005
  2. No wonder the designers sell the systems to others, instead of use them for themselves. :confused: :D

#12     Apr 28, 2005
  3. Permit me to offer some advice. Subscribe to E-Signal (or similar) and write and backtest some simple strategies. E-Signal is particularly easy to use because it has an automatic code generator. Note that I didn't say that it would help you make money. But it WILL teach you how subtle system development is and how prone it is to being randomly right. It is amazingly educational to code up shit that allegedly works and see for yourself how crappy it is.

#13     Apr 28, 2005
  4. Yes, there are a couple of Forex trading "tipping services" which have been independently monitored over significantly long periods of time and proven to make consistent profits without losing months. The majority of people who aren't subscribers don't believe it, of course, and produce their tired old nonsense about "If they could trade as successfully as this, why would they sell the service, why not just trade it?" and other such opinionated, ill-informed garbage ... but that doesn't alter the fact that there are a couple of reliable, very successful and completely honest services. (And another 998 so-called "services" that are either not reliable or not honest or both, of course. :) )

#14     Apr 28, 2005
  5. I have been trading futures for about 3 years on full time basis and I found only two setups which work consistently in any market in any time frame. First is divergences and the other is woodies cci system. I successfully trade woodie. I used to go to chat room but once I learned the system I do it all the time without going back in the room. I use divergences for longer time period such as 15 min and do woodie on 3 min er2 with classic patterns such as zero line rejects, trendline breaks, ghost and vegas.

#15     Apr 28, 2005
  6. Jana:
    I don't know if we will have sufficient common background to communicate on this subject, but I would like to try. I notice your comment about forex "tip" services. You indicate that there are a couple that have had consistently good performance. Also I believe you state that they have no losing months ("consistent profits without losing months"). If this is an accurate statement, first I have to say that it is extraordinary. You see it is not hard to find a system that performs well over a short period of time. But it is very, very difficult to do consistently over an extended period of time. So here are a couple of questions:
    1. Are you being accurate when you say that these tip services have had no losing months? If so, how long have these services been able to do this?
    2. Did you know that there is a way for a vendor to provide tips that seem very accurate, but is actually part of a scam? I am not suggesting that these vendors are doing this, but I do know how it is done, and that many have been taken in by it. It is actually very simple.
    I realize that it is possible that there are at least a few good vendors who know how to make profitable call. I hope they exist. If they do, at least a person has a chance of learning something and making some money in an industry that is prone to con artists.

I am interested in your comments
    Lefty

#16     Apr 28, 2005
  7. I'm guessing that we will; and I'm happy to try.

The two I was thinking of have been independently monitored by reasonably large numbers of people who have either exactly duplicated or slightly exceeded the results "claimed" by the service, and in circumstances in which every individual trade is monitored, allowing for the spread, without trading "by market order", and so on and so forth. Let me put it this way: either it is as I said, or a very large number of otherwise unconnected people have been very consistently lying in unison for some absolutely inexplicable reason best known to themselves.

However (and if you feel this makes a significant difference to what I said, then I apologise for exaggerating) one of the two services I was thinking of _has_ had a losing month - just one, and a small loss - out of the last 16 months. And 15 profitable months. The other service I was thinking of has had 19 consecutively profitable months, and that's how long I have myself been a subscriber to it, so I'm not even talking "second hand".

I feel pretty sure, having actually done quite a bit of research on this subject, and dare I say considerably more thoroughly and with a considerably more open mind than many people, that these are the _only_ two such services, and that there are _many_ hundreds of others that are either unreliable or dishonest or both.

There is more than one way for vendors to do that, Lefty: there are _many_ ways.

Indeed ... and there are many services that do either what you are thinking of, or what I am thinking of, or some variation of either or both. I think this is almost certainly one of the things we agree about.

I think "prone to con artists" is putting it mildly. Really I do.

Interestingly, both the two services I'm thinking of do _not_ actually exist solely as "signal services". One of them is part of a business which also sells other associated products (I suspect but don't actually know that selling the signals is their main income, though). In the other, the one to which I subscribe myself, the "signal selling" (and that's not even what they call it, actually) is a very, very minor and incidental component of something completely different, and it's not actually promoted or advertised at all, though it has actually been reviewed on the fx-review website (I know about this for the obvious reason that I contributed a small part of the review myself).

#17     Apr 28, 2005
  8. Well, the point is that Epiphany is so exclusive to most people out there that it's probably safe to say that it does not exist for all practical purposes... I have asked them three times already when they start accepting new members with the same result which is easy to guess... Exceptions do exist, I, for instance, do have profitable systems and some people contacted me about buying them, but I am too lazy to start a vendor business. I guess I would need some critical buyer mass to make it more profitable for me than trading is at this point...

#18     Apr 28, 2005
  9. Actually you surprise me. Did they say that you may, or that you may not subscribe?

#19     Apr 28, 2005
  10. They are not accepting new members, so how can I subscribe? They keep putting it off every month and if this pattern persists it's easy to imagine that I will never become a member.

What's so surprising about it? This has been going on for months...

#20     Apr 28, 2005