Systematic US Equities Investing

Discussion in 'Journals' started by mahras2, Jan 19, 2006.

1. how is your option's trading doing ?

#151     Aug 17, 2006
  2. mahras2

mahras2

Trying to get a hang of box options and trading small amounts with it. Want to gain some experience playing around with these so that I can trade them using forecasts made by the predictive models.

#152     Aug 17, 2006
  3. Mahras, thanks for the update.
    You mentioned that you have stopped trading the equity system for various reasons.
    I am questioning either the validity of the backtest(your backtest results were superb) or I am questioning our ability as investors to stick with our systems during difficult drawdowns. Anyone care to comment on either?

I do look forward to future updates if you have the time.

#153     Aug 18, 2006
  4. mahras2

mahras2

chaimshmerel> I understand what you mean. This has been a side project for me as already noted. I should have observed the performance of the system further before heading into it which is exactly what I am doing right now. I still believe that this system has merit (as I think the backtests are indeed accurate). However, I need to observe this on a walk forward basis which is important for any system.

Nothing big to note except that the long model has given back some profits made in August and is currently +2.22% for the month and shows a net return of -1.42% since start of the journal vs. +0.96% for the S&P 500. The hedged model, however, has made some steady gains and is +0.17% for the month.

Positions will be liquidated on September 1st.

#154     Aug 24, 2006
  5. mahras2

mahras2

Month of August:

Hedged: +0.47%
    Long only: +5.26%
    S&P 500: +2.54%

Since start of journal:

Long only: +1.51%
    S&P 500: +2.13%
    Dow: +5.05%
    NASDAQ: -4.09%
    Russell: -1.46%

Since July:
    Hedged: -2.35%

Will post September list tomorrow.

#155     Sep 2, 2006
  6. mahras2

mahras2

Long basket:

MRO
    FTO
    SMP
    OMG
    KAI
    HOC
    RIMM
    TXU
    CWTR
    PCCC

Short basket

NBIX
    SGR
    AHG
    PFCB
    ALOG
    TTWO
    APPB
    OPWV
    PLT
    JBL

Liquidate on the 29th.

#156     Sep 4, 2006
  7. buying JOYG after 20+ % jump, hmmm. Remember ZRAN ?
    Hope you are right on JBL , can get nasty this month

#157     Sep 9, 2006
  8. Mahras,
    I enjoyed your journal and hope you can trade your systems again in the future.

As for the last few months, how did your cash account differ from your model account? Were there significant divergences? Did liquidity or trading fees play a role? Or did your system trade accurately according to your model?

All the best,
    Granville

#158     Sep 9, 2006
  9. mahras2

mahras2

Results for September:

Long-only Model: +3.80%
    Hedged Model: +1.03%

Long-only model (since start of journal):

Model: +5.36%
    S&P 500: +4.06%
    Dow: +7.02%
    NASDAQ: -2.07%
    Russell 2K: -0.09%
    Wilshire: +2.94%

So, the model has beat its benchmark, the S&P 500, and the rest of the indices other than the Dow which has recently been flirting with its historical highs.

Hedged model (since inception in July):

Model: -1.34%

The hedged model has been recovering from the initial hit it took in July (when the long positions simply blew up). The returns have been as expected and nothing to cause alarm.

#159     Sep 30, 2006
  10. mahras2

mahras2

IV> I was actually short JBL. I would have made money if I was long (even after that run up). The long portfolio's returns this month had a big range. FTO lost 17% but RIMM was up 25% and PCCC was up 37%.

Granville> No I had no problem in replicating the results. Liquidity was no issue what so ever for my size and trading fees were managable. The difference was nothing to cause alarm (in one of the months I actually did better than the reported results). It can go both ways and over the long run should average out.

#160     Sep 30, 2006