System Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TraderBob, Apr 9, 2002.

1. #11     Apr 10, 2002
  2. trdrmac

trdrmac

For $300 bucks that seems like a decent deal, especially if you have kids that could use it. But then I seem some flyers from the retailers where you could go new for just a little more, without the potential compatibility issues.

I picked up a virus about 2 weeks back, spent about 18 hours or more getting my system back to normal. The biggest hassle was trying to remember all my passwords for various websites.

Best of luck, its time for a nap.

#12     Apr 10, 2002
  3. TraderBob,

I have built and repaired more PC's that I can count. If you are a serious trader, you need a fast and reliable computer. Since you are not a techie, and someone else could use your existing computer, than it makes sense to buy a new unit. Here's some things to consider.

Many manufacturers use non-standard components. Compaq, HP, Sony, etc. This can be an issue when trying to upgrade in the future. Make sure the case is an industry standard ATX. Unless space is an issue a mid size tower is a good size. Baby ATX frequently don't have room for extra drives, DVD and CD R/W.

Also many manufacturers have their own hardware drivers that do not come with the standard windows installation. This can be a pain if you upgrade from one OS to another and you do not have the manufacturer's disk. You have to download all the drivers. Make sure the manufacturer uses mainstream components and this won't be an isssue. Dell is pretty good all around. In computers, as in most things in life, you get what you pay for. Your very cheap ebay type machines are usually limited in one or more way - fewer expansion slots, lower quality video card, slower hard drive, less memory. If this is what you are looking for that's fine - but buyer beware.

Mike

#13     Apr 10, 2002

4. Hi...There's a program called Norton anti-virus that is very good at detecting and stopping a virus before it ruins your machine.
    You can get a copy on Ebay for about $20 bucks.
    Give it a try!:)

#14     Apr 10, 2002

5. Hi BullFighter...Just because you buy a computer on Ebay doesn't mean it's a cheapee...you can get a piece of crap at CompUsa or
    BestBuy,too. You can also get high quality machines on ebay in the $1500 to $2500 range and still save money if you bought the same machine at comp-usa or bb. The point I was making is this gentleman might save some money going thru ebay.

If he's not comfortable with Ebay,that's fine. I know,my mother still doesn't trust it either.

But, I personally have saved alot of money buying on Ebay.

And,yes your right...buyer beware. But, that goes for wherever you buy something. You need to do your homework. Thanks for your post and have a nice day
    :)

#15     Apr 10, 2002
  6. trdrmac

trdrmac

Actually I run Norton, Utilities, Anti Virus, and FireWall and have been very happy with it. I usually get several hits a day on my Firewall, so that alone is worth it.

Here is what happened though, and I am just guessing it was a virus. I was downloading my charts and left for a while, when I came back something had knocked out my firewall and the system was frozen. From there something was writing to my hard drive when I tried Utilities, not task scheduler. I tried running it in DOS, no luck. So finally I just used the emergency disk and hoped for the best. So far so good.

If you do know about Norton, maybe you can answer this, if not no biggie. On my girlfriend's system Live Update has become corrupted. I can download the definitions manually, and have uninstalled and reinstalled Live update, but it is still getting stuck. I told her that the Brittany spears CD was the problem, but sooner or later she'll catch on.

Any input would be great.
    Thanks

#16     Apr 10, 2002
  7. Agreed. My point was to make sure that he gets a computer that BEST suits his needs. Unfortunately, too many lay people don't know what they are buying - wether it be Ebay or CompUSA.

As for Ebay, I have gotten plenty of deals there myself. But again, for someone that is not computer literate, needs a reliable machine and excellent support - Ebay would not be the place to buy.

Mike

#17     Apr 10, 2002
    #18     Apr 10, 2002

9. True...you can forget about support... Point Taken

#19     Apr 10, 2002
  10. Bullfighter et al,

You've raised some great points. While I consider myself computer literate, I'd just as soon spend my time trading or doing research. To tell you the truth, I could care less about the computer inner workings, compatability issues, etc. I am just looking for a dependable black box with sufficient horsepower.

I know I could get a better deal on EBAY or some independent retailer, but who do you call when there's a problem ? I will probably wind up getting another Dell system even though its not the least expensive alternative. They have provided me with excellent phone support for my present system at no additional charge for an extended warranty or any of that nonsense.

Thanks. Hopefully I didn't start a computer debate war !

p.s. For those of you that haven't seen it, the trading workstation guide on this site is excellent. Hopefully the guide will be updated as new technology becomes available.

#20     Apr 10, 2002