System to stay intelligent after graduate school

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lolatency, May 3, 2009.

1. Do some online math problems as often as you see fit, in order to keep the skills sharp. Plenty of websites out there offering online quizzes in all realms of mathmatics, and step-by-step solutions in case you miss some stuff. Tutoring is good advice, just might not be economical as far as time goes for some. Good luck.

#21     May 4, 2009
  2. You are probably far more intelligent that I will ever be, however if it is your interest to trade, I would respectfully suggest you use simple common sense (money management) and some statistical probabilty analysis....rocket science is for rocket scientists; not traders.

You will then see the light of day...if not....trading is not your game....

Good luck.

NiN

#22     May 4, 2009
  3. Banff01

Banff01

I know how you feel, lolatency. I graduated from Engineering Physics undergrad program just 9 years ago and I feel quite frustrated when I open one of my old textbooks from time to time. Unfortunately, unless you stay at the university you will likely end up using only a miniscule subset of all the things that you have learned and if you don't use it you lose it, that's the fact of life with everything.
    Don't forget that it applies to all parts of the body - not just the brain! :D

#23     May 4, 2009
  4. the1

the1

OMG! You guys need to get a life. How about shooting 18 and getting drunk on the 19th, then trolling for Ho's? Integration by parts? Yeah, I remember something like that sophomore year. Never actually used it.

#24     May 4, 2009
  5. Yeah, you definitely don't need upper level math to trade. Knowing how to use Black-Scholes is far more important than "how to derive it", wouldn't you agree? Unless you're planning some breakthrough that will lead you on the path to LTCM, why not just use the ingredients we already have? They're enough, and doing simple calculations on a daily basis helps.

You'll find trading is predicting a direction, and how much are you going to risk to bet on that direction? The market already tells you what things are worth, perfectly, but this says nothing about where the price is going to be in the next second. That is the actual challenge, and requires a mathematical mind, yes, but not differential calculus.

#25     May 4, 2009