System testing questions.

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by jim c, Jun 30, 2009.

1. jim c

jim c

This makes sense. In my simple mind I imagine "no stops" as the simplest or purest way to backtest (even though I would NEVER trade without stops). I guess I need to think about this for a while.
    I sort of asked the question in the begining of the thread...would trading just the profitable stocks be curve fitting also? Im thinking it would. Anyway thx for the food for thought. Again, I could never trade without stops but here is Ernie Chans blog talking a little about it. http://epchan.blogspot.com/ thx again guys! JIm

#21     Jul 15, 2009
  2. Well, in a manner of speaking, nitro said it for me. But the most important point is that trading without a stop is not possible without unlimited resources. That's all that really matters. It HAS to be part of the system, hence why I said that without it, you don't have a system at all.

#22     Jul 22, 2009
  3. Can you explain how this works? I couldn't figure it out.

#23     Jul 30, 2009
  4. alpri16

alpri16

Jim:

In your original post your spread sheet shows that the most trades taken in any single issue is 48 over a period of 5 years. Sounds like a very selective set up. Curious, what are the parameters for the short action?

Paul

#24     Jul 31, 2009
  5. jim c

jim c

Its a huge deep dark secret. If stock is less than 50 days ma and its up 3 days in a row. Sell the open on the 4th day and buy the close.
    I have a ton of these types of systems. Some better than others. My goal was to get some feedback on how to improve it. With one suggestion Nitro made it much much better.
    Maybe you could take a look and provide some feedback as well. Thx for taking a look. Jim

#25     Aug 3, 2009
  6. jim c

jim c

I dont have fair value data so I wasnt able to test this completly. I just added the parm that vix had to be greater than 20 to place a trade. I was suprised at the results. This is exactly the type of advice I was looking for (thx Nitro). Thx for taking a look . JIm

#26     Aug 3, 2009