System security with Tradestation

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Banff01, Nov 30, 2005.

Do you think strategies are secure with Tradestation?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Holmes

Holmes

Agreed, why are otherwise a number of these people "lurking" on messageboards to see what the opposition is doing? In other words they do not know it all.

#21     Dec 1, 2005
  2. I agree the harm would be done then, but that would be also the end of TradeStation. So they would be risking a lot for a getting a strategy which might not work forever.

What I meant by my comment that my last fear would be TS stealing my strategies, does not mean that I think it's impossible, but IMHO the possibility of someone else stealing my system is much higher.

By the way you don't have to broker through TS, you can as well direct the orders to a broker of your choice automatically.

Happy Trading,

fritz_haber

#22     Dec 1, 2005
  3. it seems as tho some posters on this thread have never program traded on TS....
    TS program trading auto executes intrabar stops and intrabar profit targets.....
    TS still requires a one to two bar delay when opening a position....the command "buy next bar at open" or "buy this bar at close is the reason"....this handicaps a program trader from capturing the very beginning of any move.....a program developer can add a limit buy order to his strategy, however if the market doesn't come back, the program trader stands a chance of missing a lot of market moves.....
    while the idea of auto-execute program trading sounds great,
    many if not most discretionary traders can and do exceed the profits and the success of the auto execute program trader.....

TS also knows this, so why would they even bother trying to steal your program.....

#23     Dec 1, 2005
  4. Speak for yourself not others, ok jerk.

First, Was it necessary to create a new nickname for
    posting this?

Secondly, I think YOU are the one never programmed
    anything on TS, because new TS version don't need to
    wait for the closing of the bar

I don't understand why many sickening people like you
    in this forum like to attack Tradestation daily, is it because
    they don't give out their platform for FREE :confused:

Intrabar Order Generation
    You will no longer need to wait until the bar close to
    generate an order. Intrabar order generation allows Buy,
    Sell, Short and Cover orders to be generated on a tick
    basis instead of only at the close of a bar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=in...tation&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8
    Generate a Buy or Sell order the moment a condition occurs
    Reference the high and low of the current bar
    An attribute has been added [IntrabarOrderGeneration=True/False] so that you can set the property directly in EasyLanguage which will override the user interface setting in the Format Strategy dialog.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#24     Dec 1, 2005
  5. OptionScreen,

thanks for the info and the links....
    i've developed many program strategies
    and was always disappionted at the late fills in the past....

i will have to see how they work now....

thanks for bringing me up to date on what in the past has been a TS problem.....

#25     Dec 1, 2005
  6. 9999

#26     Dec 1, 2005

7. __________________________________________

http://www.dailyspeculations.com/vic/software_bugs.html

Victor Niederhoffer on Software Bugs and other Animals

A reader queries whether just looking at the price on a screen can help one make money . i.e. hoping a stock along. It seems at first glance ridiculous. But things are seldom what they seem, in markets and life.

The reader Mr. D.F. a sophisticated computer entrepreneur and programmer writes as follows

It almost seems that I can push a stock price up by looking at it. This would be apparent by looking at the difference between the broker's min to max price when the volume is not changing (i.e. no trades). It seems that when you stare at the price, the brokers up their min-max by some type of formula.
    Mr. Corso's response. A classic

Well, I can't speak to influencing stocks by staring at a screen, but there was an interesting case . . .

. . when Enron-on-line first started up, folks were worried about Enron "knowing everyone's positions" if it became the dominant B2B energy portal [Enron-on-line wasn't a broker, Enron was the counterparty to every transaction]

While that was a normal enough worry, being an old APL guy, I was wondering what went on behind under the covers at Enron-on-line, I wanted an API so that I could get a feed from Enron-on-line, and wouldn't have to point and click [I had this fantasy of developing a kind of automated gamma scalping thing on natural gas basis]

I inquired of Enron, and they ultimately declined, but not before I talked to some of their programmers and one of 'em mentioned "dots".

That worried me, so I performed an experiment, at about 1am I merely PASSED MY CURSOR OVER AND HOVERED OVER BUT DID NOT CLICK the offer price of 3am electricity, a time that no-one should have been concerned about . . . I then called up my Boston office, got the watch engineer on the line, and asked them to do the same thing [Enron on line registered my NY and Boston office as 2 different customers]

so 2 different customers "almost" but didn't quite in fact lifted the offer . . . and low and behold, after about the 3rd hovering of the cursor, the offer ticked up 25 cents a megawatt . . . in the middle of the night, on a block of time that no-one could care about Enron-on-line wasn't just waiting for you to click, it was tracking your cursor movements and checking to see if you hovered over a price.

Enron-on-line was spyware

So we never used it

#27     Dec 1, 2005