System Performance Statistics & Evaluation

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by CPTrader, Sep 10, 2007.

1. #11     Sep 10, 2007
  2. The higher the ratio the better.

Yes, that is the paper.

M

#12     Sep 10, 2007
  3. Thanks, MM!

Very insightful paper. Will surely reread it. Of course the higher the better...but what are your preferred/ideal levels? What do you typcially see in your experience?

Finally how can one get access to the testing software refeernced in that paper. I would surely like to use it.

#13     Sep 10, 2007
  4. ess1096

ess1096

I suggest reading The Way of The Turtle by Curtis Faith.
    The book answers your question in detail. For example, net profit alone is not a good indicator since most of the profit could have come from a single trade.

Also, High Probability Trading my Marcel Link has an excellent section on strategy development and backtesting.

Asking this on ET will only get you a thousand different opinions and will confuse you. The two authors above give good explanations of what to look for.

#14     Sep 10, 2007
  5. Thank you. (I am the author of that paper, by the way.) The levels seen can vary widely and depend on many factors. The testing software is software that I wrote specifically for the purpose of developing and testing my trading models. The software itself isn't commercially available, but the algorithm is part of a 3-day workshop on system development that is being given at the end of October. Building this tool should be no sweat after that.

M

#15     Sep 10, 2007
  6. rickty

rickty

CPTrader,

This might help you a bit:

http://www.tradingblox.net/Files/MC_resampling_Nbars.pdf

#16     Sep 10, 2007
  7. Unfortunately, you can't run unlimited simulations
    over trading system backtests. Resampling techniques
    (bootstrap, jackknife, etc...) introduce complexities of
    bias and variance beyond the ken of most ET'ers.
    For this reason, historital max or average drawdown
    is not a good estimator of future max or average
    drawdown.

I am sure you are aware of this. I am not sure that
    you know, however, that for normal or near normal
    distributions of model returns, historical volatility and
    mean return yeild better estimates.

For the case of zero mean return (no alpha, the case
    with most models discussed here) the formula ifor
    expected max drawdown is simple:

1.25 * Stdev * sqrt(Time).

For the positive mean return the estimate gets
    a little more complex:

(2 * QP((Time / 2) * ((MeanReturn / Stdev)^2)) / MeanReturn

The QP function, AFAIK, does not have an
    analytical solution. You can download a lookup
    table for it, however, at this website:

http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~magdon/data/Qp.txt

Interestingly, for a given Sharpe Ratio this
    works out to a linear relationship scaling
    with the square root of time. For example,
    for the Hershey method, with a claimed
    daily basis annualized Sharpe Ratio of 5.5,
    the equation is

0.50 * Stdev * sqrt(Time)

To sum up, the inforation in the "new" ratio
    under discussion is implicit in the Sharpe
    Ratio itself.

#17     Sep 10, 2007
  8. Excellent discussion, Kevin. Unfortunately, the models that I work with tend to have nowhere near a normal distribution of returns, and I suspect this is true for others as well. Historical average drawdown does work very well both in theory and in practice to the extent that the historical return series is unbiased (using a biased input series is the biggest problem with nearly all analysis done by system developers) and the underlying assumptions of any statistical procedures are satisfied. The assumptions are nearly always violated to some extent, and this must be considered when interpreting output.

M

#18     Sep 10, 2007
  9. rickty

rickty

Kevin,

Do you have a reference for the formulas you provide above. I'd like to look into this a bit more.

#19     Sep 10, 2007
  10. K.C.

K.C.

Backtesting of a system is more or less useless. Real time trading results you will get from a system will be about 20% below the results you get from backtesting. When a chart is forming it looks quite different from completed chart and you can’t simulate that in backtesting. For example, system I presently trade will give me close to 100% winners/losers ratio in backtesting, in real time I get about 80%.

#20     Sep 10, 2007