System Development with acrary

Discussion in 'Journals' started by acrary, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funky

funky

what kinds of things do you look for in determining when a system is decaying? thx
    -funky

#11     Jun 4, 2004
  2. abogdan

abogdan

Its funny, I'm also 48 and I also don't want to just trade anymore. I think, to me, the intellectual effort is a lot more satisfying then actual making of a buck trading.
    Looking forward to see this thread unfold.
    Cheers,

#12     Jun 4, 2004
  3. Perhaps you could tell us what book you mean so that we could avoid it...

#13     Jun 4, 2004
  4. Incredible and fascinating as always. Thanks acrary.

Allan

#14     Jun 4, 2004
  5. lindq

lindq

I'm with you. But the last time I wrote a check to my mortgage company to draw on my "Intellectual Effort", the damn thing bounced. Can't figure why.

#15     Jun 4, 2004
  6. abogdan

abogdan

I said "Just Trading" it doesn't mean I don't trade to pay my bills.:)

#16     Jun 4, 2004
  7. Acrary,

I gather from this thread that your approach is largely statistically based. If this is indeed the case, may I ask what kind of return on equity your methods generate on balance?

#17     Jun 4, 2004
  8. From your posts acrary, I know that you do a lot of work w/ breakouts. I was wondering if you ever looked at the general volatility level of a security and how well breakouts work...
    The work I've done shows a strong correlation.

#18     Jun 4, 2004
  9. nitro

nitro

That "correlation" is almost tautologous.

A better question would be persistence of trend _after_ "breakout".

nitro

#19     Jun 4, 2004
  10. Maybe I didn't phrase this right... Say I'm looking at a stock ABC. It's statistical volatility is in the 80 to 90th percentile (for two years). I look at daily data for this. When the stock breaks out of a narrow range day, the break seems to be followed by a good trend more than often. When daily volatility shrinks, intraday breakouts seem to crap out a lot more.

This might seem really basic but it has kept me out trouble. I know which stocks and securities are better for breakouts: the most volatile ones.

#20     Jun 4, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.