System Developers Journal

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Gyles, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Gyles

Gyles

I bought TradersStudio around 2-3 months ago. Presently, I am working on developing my trading systems using this product.

Hence, in this thread I shall discuss the development of the system. You all are requested and invited to follow up on the same and we can discuss a number of and see as to how the thread I shall discuss the developing my systems and have you follow along with this product we will discuss many issues of system development, for instance Money Management.

2. This is great.

First question.

Out of all the products currently available to develop automated trading systems, why did you choose this product. Particuarly since you have familarity with pretty much everything that's out there for the retail market in this niche?

3. Gyles

Gyles

I have a full time job. Thus, I can only trade at the End-Of-Day. Therefore, as an End-Of-Day trader, I wanted the best platform for developing and testing trading strategies. My position was such that I did not need to worry about the automatic trading and real time.

My main aim was to download my data before bed-time and get my trades ready for the morning. Thus, I did not need to have to keep an eye on the markets or watch them all the time.

Besides the above, "Portfiolo Analysis" , "Walk Forward Testing" are very important to me.

These are among the various reasons as to why I chose TradersStudio among the others.

4. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

I am currently building portfiolo and doing testing with the combine sessions. The exchanges are not breaking out the old "day session times" from the electronic data. This means that some things like ORB really may not work anymore except in the S&P500 where we still have a pit and you can get signals off of that contract and place trades on the electronic market version.
    I am also working on a new variant to ORB for new electronic combined sessions. The plan is to create a balance point using recent bars data and use that to replace the open price.

5. Gyles

Gyles

Regarding the development of a plan to trade, including your systems, you need to take into account as to how much capital, you have for trading purposes and which kind of risks you are willing or prepared to take on?

Hence, you shall need to develop different kinds of systems based on what you have, 25K, 50K or 100K dollars.

In order to convey the message to a majority of people, and yet be able to explain the very basics, we shall base our discussion on 35K and 100K dollars. Since, majority of people trade on using this amount.

Hence, by this method, we have enough money to be more flexible than 25K would allow, and yet be able to discuss the difference for a 25K account. Moreover, a 100K account will allows us to do many more things. Hence, we shall cover both tracks in this thread.

6. What shall be effect on the existing softwares regarding the above?

7. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

The combined session issues are resolving as we speak. Most data vendors are currently not supplying nightly updates till 6:00 to 7:00 pm. This means that the update for all markets are not available before the electronic sessions reopen. Once solution is to use CSV formatted data and manually update it. This will work except on days of a roll over.

8. Gyles

Gyles

Sincere thanks, Mr. Murray, for your kind explanation regarding the electronic session data.

9. Gyles

Gyles

Greetings everyone, yes I was supposed to do a lot more here. However, there has been a loss of momentum, and I do not feel up to par and shall be more active in this System Journal Thread in the coming week.

Apologies to everyone for the delay.

#10     Mar 7, 2008