Synthetic straddles on pit traded futures contracts?

Discussion in 'Options' started by steve3052, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Hi, can someone clarify this for me. Isnt a long synthetic straddle long underlying and long 2x atm put? If it's long underlying and short calls and the underlying gaps down due to a black swan, how are you covered on the downside? as your max protection is limited to the premium received for the short calls.

are we saying, sell x number of DITM calls where the premium received = 1x underlying value?

thanks

#31     Apr 21, 2008
  2. The synthetic straddle he used in that example is short straddle equivalence, you’re referring to long straddle.

#32     Apr 21, 2008
  3. How does trading spot impact gamma?

#33     Apr 21, 2008
  4. It doesn't. The 2* upside naked calls are no longer straddle-equivalent.

You don't change vol sign or magnitude by removing spot from the synthetic. It only impacts upside gammas/deltas.

Gamma and dgamma are sensitive to Px. There is no spot delta-hedge remaining.

#34     Apr 21, 2008
  5. Of course it doesn't. You said it did, which is why I asked.

ETA: And while I was typing this, you edited your last post to reiterate that trading spot affects the gamma of the position. Even though you also said it doesn't.

Make up your mind, atti.

#35     Apr 21, 2008

6. Trading spot does not affect gamma, only trading in the options. My initial comment which you cite referred to the resulting naked calls after removal of spot.

"You don't change vol sign or magnitude by removing spot from the synthetic. It only impacts upside gammas/deltas.

The short naked call gamma is sensitive so Px.

I didn't edit my last before your last.

#36     Apr 21, 2008
  7. someones wrong

#37     Apr 21, 2008
  8. Am I missing something here?

#38     Apr 21, 2008
  9. Yeah, apparently you're suggesting that short naked calls have static gammas. Or that they somehow are price insensitive and equivalent to the straddle gamma.

The call gammas are no longer equivalent [to the straddle].

You've taken a position equivalent to the natural straddle and converted it to two short calls. The gamma-sensitivity is no longer equivalent. it is no longer a straddle.

#39     Apr 21, 2008
  10. Pretty sure I'm not. Here, I'll spell it out for you again, this time in crayon.

Okay, here's what we'll do. You give me an example of a straddle (natural or synthetic with spot and 2x calls, your choice). Then tell me how the gamma changes when you trade spot against it, and how you would trade the spot to make the total gamma different from the gamma of the straddle.

You know, like you did earlier with vega ;)

Of course it's no longer a straddle. But it still has the same gamma. How is this not obvious to you?

#40     Apr 21, 2008