Syncing Laptop Time to Atomic Time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CPTrader, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hello,

How can I set up my laptop to automatically sync itself periodiclaly intra-day to the atomic clock.

My computer seems to always be 1-2 minutes slow or fast which affects scheduiled takss.

Thanks!

2. dom993

dom993

I use Dimension4 from Thinking Man Software. It is free and does just what you want.

3. Assuming you are running Windows 7, first check that the "Windows Time" service is running. If it isn't, start it.

To increase the sync frequency, start regedt32.exe

Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config

and change the "UpdateInterval" key to a smaller value. Try 20,000 instead of the default of 360,000

4. How do I check to see that Windows Time service is running? Thanks!

5. I was able to change the time interval, but there seems to be no change. My time is still wrong.

I also noticed that if I manualy click on my Windows clokc and try an dmnaually upate the time by synching to time.nist.gov I get a error message: "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with time.nist.gov"

6. In the Task Manager, in the "Services" tab. You can start the task manager by typing cmtrl-alt-delete

7. Try choosing another time server in the drop-down menu in the "internet time" tab. Try time.windows.com

8. Thanks, Kevin.

I tried several time servers. None works.

9. #10     Feb 7, 2012