Symptom of Overtrading?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Harry123, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Whatever ya say, boss...

#41     Sep 3, 2003
  2. Unbelievable! Simply unbelievable!

Candle, you must have had a bad today or something. My guess is you're going to re-read this tomorrow and wish you could take a mulligan.

This is all Harry posted in his OP: I attached a gif of today's P&L 09/03/03 at close of trading day. What I wanted to know is how many of you end up holding back and forth this many securities during the day? I felt like I overtraded today. I had 20 round trips all in all. Thanks.

All he wanted to know was how many people end up holding back and forth this many securities during the day?
    He felt like he was overtrading by trading that many and wanted to see how many other people traded like that.

I appreciate the effort Nihaba puts into helping, but in this case he really made a mess of reading too much into this one, that's for damn sure.

Candle, lol, I'm not sure what the hell got up your ass about "straightening out" Harry, but your instance that it was Harry that destroyed this thread is ET all-time classic of pots and kettles!

#42     Sep 3, 2003
  3. Brother Alfonso,

Hehe, maybe it was my subconscious disliking of anything that remotely reminds me of HarryTrader, our French Brother, who once lambasted the merits of Freemasonry (a fraternity of which I am an ardent supporter)...

Anyways, all's well that ends well... the main thing is that the Trading forum is free of the crap in this thread, of which I admit to be partly responsible for :cool: ... bearing that in mind, I for one am happy to offer some sincere apologies to Harry123 for any anguish caused (after all Harry123 only resembles Harrytrader in name, and not in mentality)... there, I said it: I apologize...

With fraternal warmth,
    Candle

#43     Sep 3, 2003
  4. Harry,

You may also want to look at situations in your personal life the may make you feel like you've overtraded and/or feel mentally exhausted.

* Lack of sleep
    * Lack of exercise
    * Lack of a healthy diet
    * Lack of social interaction (isolation)
    * Marital or relationship stress
    et cetera

For example...if I'm up most the night with the toddler because he can't sleep (my spouse and I rotate the nightly responsibilities)...

one to three trades the next trading day is extremely mentally difficult, I feel like I'm doing too much and by 12noon est a single trade feels like 100 trades.

Harry, just be careful about the feeling of overtrading because if it becomes too frequent...

it could easily cause you to take one of those emergency vacations (time away from the markets) so you can regain your focus and be mentally prepared to protect or increase those profits.

My point is this...don't worry about overtrading unless it starts to become more frequent.

Thus, an occassional day of overtrading is probably the norm in this business.

Good night all...I'm going to bed early tonight...

it's the spouse turn tonight for night watch duties :cool:

NihabaAshi

#44     Sep 3, 2003
  5. Excellent post NihabaAshi... by way of my apology to you, Brother Harry123, I would humbly recommend that you may gain significant value from the works of Mark Douglas and Ari Kiev, both of whom deal with the psychological aspects of trading in their books...

#45     Sep 3, 2003
  6. Thanks candletrader,

I haven't read anything by Mark Douglas but I've read lots by Ari Kiev.

(your recommendation has also caught my attention)

Understanding the psychological aspects of trading (mental game) is huge with me and is part of my edge...

an edge that carried over from my days as an athlete.

Also...sometimes overtrading and mental exhaustion go hand to hand...

when they do...they fall under the psychological aspects of trading.

In fact...I'm looking to add another book to my collection of books about the mental aspects of trading and will take a look at what Mark Douglas offers that's been released lately.

NihabaAshi

#46     Sep 4, 2003