switzerland

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by alain, Jun 7, 2002.

1. St Moritz ? Is that a joke ? You've never been in Verbier on a 12/31 !

Otherwise Switzerland is definitely boring....but who cares : London, Paris and Milan are 1h flight away from Geneva and the flight ticket is 80$...

#41     Nov 25, 2004
  2. #42     Nov 25, 2004
  3. Swiss market ? Is there someone trading this market ? :D

#43     Nov 25, 2004
  4. karol88

karol88

yeah, Switzerland is the best. I spent 4 years in Lausanne and Geneva...beautiful...but a little boring too :)

#44     Nov 25, 2004
  5. Have you been at the university in Lausanne (or EPFL) ? I say that because of the 4 years.

#45     Nov 25, 2004
  6. #46     Nov 25, 2004
  7. you guys make it sound so boring, is it worse than Luxemburg or Belgium ?

science trader,

I used that calculator before but I don't understand the deductions that are made for insurance. Health insurance is compulsory but on the basis of an income of CHF 50K in Geneva, the calculator comes up with a CHF 12000 insurance deduction. Insurance can't possibly cost CHF 12,000 ?!

Do you mean it works like this: in the Geneva canton, cantonal tax is 147,5 % of the federal rate , communal tax 45.5%of the federal rate. Federal rate is topped at 11% . So your tax bracket can go up to 32% . Then you have to add about 9% social security taxes right (for self employed)? That starts to add up . Any other tax worth mentioning ? Is church tax a property tax?

Valais looks good, cantonal tax 1.0, (no communal tax , no church tax ?) Do the Geneva or Valais cantons treat capital gains as I understand the canton of Bern does? i.e no taxation if account is under CHF 200000 or trades are deemed to be normal management of personal assets?

#47     Nov 25, 2004
  8. Health insurance is a pure private system in Switzerland. You pay the amount your insurance wants you to pay. But it is more or less always the same in a given canton. You might count something like 300 CHF/month/person (children are around 70CHF/month), whatever your revenue is.

Deductions are mostly :

- Private pension scheme (maximum 6800 CHF/year)
    - Health insurance payments (around 4500 CHF/year)
    - Car and food expenses for your work (maximum should be around 15CHF/day)
    - Payment to charity (over 500CHF or 20% of your revenues)
    - Medical expenses

But it's highly dependent on the canton, except the private pension scheme.

Ca you give me the link to this calculator to let me help you a little better. For 50k CHF/year, as a single, you'll have to pay around 10k CHF in taxes. 100k should give something like 25k in taxes.

By the way, in Switzerland, you don't pay capital gain taxes on private wealth.

#48     Nov 25, 2004
  9. #49     Nov 25, 2004
  10. java5555

java5555

Maybe somebody can help me. I travel to Zurich at least once a year. I have family in Neuchatel. My net worth is over $5M USD ($4M cash). I would like to spend more time in Europe (beyond 6 months/year). Would it be worth my while (from a tax perspective, and lifestyle) to pursue a certain type of CH visa or look at another country.

#50     Nov 25, 2004