switzerland

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by alain, Jun 7, 2002.

1. How come Switzerland is so great and Swiss people really like to commit suicide? The highest in Europe? Behind that subjective choice, what's about its current economy? It's current crime rate? I heard very un-Swiss things happening during the past couple of years.

#31     May 30, 2003
  2. #32     Aug 13, 2003
  3. msfe

msfe

Self-employment

I am an EU national and would like to start up my own business in Switzerland? Is this possible?

If there is a quota and if your activities are not in clear contradiction to overall economic interests, you will be granted a permit. There is a settling-in period of, as a rule, 6-8 months. After that, you will have to provide evidence of self-employment. Specifically, this means that you will have to document that your activities enable you to earn a living.

http://www.bfa.admin.ch/personenverkehr/faq/faq_e.asp#1

What rules apply to permits granted to self-employed people and people who are not gainfully employed?

Self-employed people and people who are not gainfully employed must submit their applications to the cantonal authority themselves. The procedures are determined by the cantons.

Please note: Contact the relevant cantonal authority to enquire about what documents are necessary for a permit to be granted!

http://www.bfa.admin.ch/kontakt/frepos/adressliste_e.asp

#33     Aug 13, 2003
  4. In the Bahamas that gets you residency; not citizenship ...

#34     Aug 13, 2003
  5. bubba7

bubba7

I have fond memories of living in switzerland.

I lived between Zurich and Zug in Adlisvil. I worked in the next town east towards the See. The IBM operation was just south of where I worked.

I still remember the evening bell sounds drifting to us from the north.

Since I skied a lot then, it was such a great place to live and work.
    We moved our work place to Montana (above Visp) for the season.

I only invested then, so the market timing offsets weren't troubling. The UBS troops treated me like a Chicago person. lol

I had the great experience of going through the "six days war". My pile of ski boots were in my potato bin and there was hell to pay. We just used our bomb shelter for storage and that was verboten!!!

Coming home was a shock after all that cleanliness and order.

#35     Aug 13, 2003
  6. I am looking for info on the regulation of investment advice and fund management in Switzerland . I did not find much information about regulation of financial advice on the website of the Federal Banking Commission . Is there another supervisory authority regulating that area?

From the info on that website it appears one does not necessarily need to be licensed to manage customer's funds provided one has less than 20 customers. Does that mean you can set up a small hedge fund in Switzerland with no registration, , no regulatory oversight, and limited setup and administrative costs? Also managers that keep accounts in the name of their clients are not subject to the SFBC supervision.

http://www.ebk.admin.ch/e/

#36     Nov 24, 2004
  7. You're on the right site. There isn't any 'hedge fund' legislation here in Switzerland. It is classified as a fund with special risks. But this is only if you want to make public advertising. Otherwise, you can do what you want. However, it seems there are preparing a totally new legislation for fund managers.

Anyhow, the best thing you can do is to ask a lawyer for all these things.

#37     Nov 24, 2004
  8. Thanks science trader. Switzerland is really a nice place.

What are the cantons with the lowest tax rates? I know Zug is often mentioned, but are Zug taxes much lower for individuals not just corporations?

What are the most "exciting" cities and cantons for a 20 something? University towns for ex.
    Which place do you think has the best value for money, nice scenery, not too expensive but not boring either ?

#38     Nov 25, 2004
  9. Ditch

Ditch

Switzerland definitively has it's values, but exciting is the last thing that comes to my mind when thinking of it. You can party in St. Moritz, but it certainly isn't cheap. You'll find more of your liking in Austria.

#39     Nov 25, 2004
  10. Lowest tax rate is definitely Zug. If you look on the net, you will find something about the other cantons. But tax rate in the cantons is not everything. Every city has his own tax rate (usually given as a multiple of the canton rate) and you have to add the federal tax rate. When tax rate is good for corporations, it's usually good for individuals.

http://www.estv.admin.ch/data/sd/e/index.htm

Most exciting cities aren't in Switzerland....for sure.... What you must know is that Switzerland has 3 main cultures : german (east and north), french (west) and italian (south). And the differences in people's mind is huge between these parts. I wouldn't want to live in the german part of the country. Except Zurich that is around 1mio inhabitants, other cities like Basel, Lausanne, Geneva or Bern are small cities of 200-300'000 inhabitants.

For living, I would definitely choose the west part if I were you. Lake of Geneva area is really amazing, and it's not for nothing that a lot of pop stars live there.

#40     Nov 25, 2004