Switching to Linux from Win10

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by JackRab, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Soes has pretend he can't see my replies since he said he put me on ignore. :D

#61     Nov 1, 2017
  2. JackRab

JackRab

So how do you go regarding security? Because the plus side of Linux is that it's less prone to malware and attacks etc... if you run an old Windows version... surely security is a problem at one stage? Do they still do updates for Win7?

#62     Nov 1, 2017
    Simples likes this.
  3. JackRab

JackRab

Okay.. so far so good.

Got Linux Mint - Cinnamon running. Took me a while though... not as easy as click and go.
    Also got TWS for Linux up, had to install Java first.... the whole process of having to use the terminal is a bit weird for me, as I don't do any coding etc... I did like the ease of use with Windows. Linux seems a bit more hands on.

As for speed... the standard Firefox browser was absolute dogshit. Hugged a lot of memory. Now on Opera and that's sweet as, never really bothered using that before.. but it seems very smooth and fast.

As for TWS... I still have the occasional freeze, even when I allocated more memory through the tws.vmoptions file. All in all, it does seem somewhat faster, but not as much as I thought. And I'm haven't installed my email program yet... that might hold up the system a bit further.

I'll see how it goes this week.. maybe next week I will do a total clean install and remove Win10 entirely (now on dual boot).

#63     Nov 1, 2017
    Grantx and Simples like this.
  4. That sounds familiar: I also experience the occasional TWS freeze. I am using Ubuntu as OS. What setting did you change in order to improve the situation?

#64     Nov 1, 2017
  5. JackRab

JackRab

Well, I've allocated more memory to TWS. If you look for the tws.vmoptions file in the /Jts folder you can change the allocation. It's way too low for what I have open... multiple charts etc make it very slow after a few hours. I've doubled the allocation for my laptop. On my PC even more, since I've got more RAM.

If you have the automatically updated TWS version, each time it downloads a new version it changes this file back though.. so you need to keep an eye out for that. I've got a link to it on my desktop so it's easy to change when I see the update/download happening.

#65     Nov 1, 2017
    HobbyTrading likes this.
  6. I don't use the automatically updating version. Currently am I using version 962, but I also found some tws.vmoptions files from previous versions which I've used in the past. The Java heap size is set at 768 MB: -Xmx768m. Maybe I should increase this.

#66     Nov 1, 2017
  7. JackRab

JackRab

I've got 1536m on my laptop... only 4GB ram
    And 2G on PC which has 8GM ram... could use more on that, but not necessary. I definitely helps to increase it.

#67     Nov 1, 2017
    HobbyTrading likes this.
  8. Legit question, and since 98% of security is in the head of the user, I'm ok.

Many decades of computing, and never hacked yet. Maybe 1 or two MINOR easily cleaned malware in all that time and NONE in the last 15 years.

Win 7 is still updated afaik

#68     Nov 1, 2017
  9. JackRab

JackRab

Very good point... don't click on clickbait! :) I've never had any virus either, mainly IMO because I don't click on the "click me" popups. Or the phishing mails...

#69     Nov 1, 2017
  10. sle

sle

That's so not true and it totally suprised me when I switched from my Ubuntu laptop to a MacBook. My office neighbor is an HFT PM and he said something along the lines "if you think OS-X is restrictive, you have not used it much". You can do pretty much anything as an OS-X power user as you could in Linux.

PS. for the record, my current domestic line up is - 1 MacBook Pro, 1 Ubuntu laptop that I am typing from at the moment and 1 CentOS desktop that I use as a home server (controls everything in my apartment, lights, music, window-shades).

#70     Nov 1, 2017