switching to IB from TradeStation

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by vladiator, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Hi guys, I'm about to make this switch b/c I need to be able to trade options and TS doesn't offer that capability in the current version. How fast will the adjustment be in your experience? Any "been there done that, be careful with this and that" advice will be appreciated.
    I might end up running both platforms for an interim period but then would eventually like to switch completely to just one.
    Thanks.
    V.
    PS In retrospect, I guess I should have started with IB in the first place...

2. oh vlad, my friend, you don't know what you're in for...

this is gonna be one of the most momentous decisions you'll make.. the experience wil be profound and life changing...

i hope you have the support of your family behind you...

may the force be with you... onwards and upwards!

3. be prepared for the ultimate in speed...TWS rocks!!

options trading is pretty nice too with IB...

4. Thanks for the replies guys. What sucks though it that I'll have to pay professional fees b/c the account is an LLC one. TS folks treated me as non-professional.
    I looked at the java demo and the interface is kind of messy compared to TS (especially for order entry). The execution may be faster, but so far it doesn't look like it's faster to enter the trades in IB :) At least not manually, which is what I'm doing so far.
    Is that demo thingy close to what the actual platform looks like?

5. TWS is menacing when you first look at it but I guarantee that after 1 or 2 sessions you'll never look the same at another broker's order entry page again.

It's great!

6. do what the pro's do---trade equities with TS6 and options with www.thinkorswim.com why mess around with 2nd best ??

best wishes,

surf:)

7. chisel

chisel

If you're the only one in the LLC and you meet the non-professional requirements otherwise, I'd press them on the issue. I opened a corp. acct. with them a few years ago, and I don't pay prof. fees, but maybe things have changed since then.

8. IB is cheap and fast. A few bugs from time to time but nothing really serious.

9. If you really want to have the best execution in town, go for IB.
    Their TWS system may be a little frightening at first but with the right hotkeys in place and the right layout setup, it is the bomb!
    I just started trading again a couple days ago from a long hibernation period and haven't had one complaint about my fills.
    Actually, just yesterday I scalped XLNX for 10 cents. The round trip took me maybe 15 seconds. (In/Wait for Exit/Out) !
    The fills are immediate, it's awesome. Just try to use the default order feature as much as you can. It helps a lot.
    Take it easy and stay focused

:cool:

10. funny...i've never heard of any "pros" raving about TS6...last thing i heard, it was just another cruz brothers marketing scheme...i don't see how the extra 20% in commissions helps either...

#10     Oct 23, 2002