Switching to IB from TDA's TOS will I be able to analyze options

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Joebone, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Joebone

Joebone

Risk Navigator..... Ill Check that out. Do most trade with TWS at IB or do many use one of the myriad of other platforms?

#11     Jun 22, 2017
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I have no direct knowledge, but I assume the majority of IB traffic is institutional, that IB assumes we've all got IT over one shoulder, and Research over the other, and that we're all running an API with our Special Sauce poured all through it. (I'm completing my Special Sauce right now ["Ha!"], and expect to spend the next year putting it in Java for real-time connection. Still, you can do a lot with a periodic .csv off-load and a spreadsheet....

#12     Jun 22, 2017
  3. The risk navigator isn't up to where the TOS analysis tools are.
    Here's a little secret: Do you trading on IB TWS, do your analysis on an unfunded TOS account. You can import a trade log from IB to TOS with a little massaging and track your trades in real time there with *nice* risk graphs.

#13     Jun 23, 2017
  4. Joebone

Joebone

so you import a trade log and it populates the analyze tab?

#14     Jun 23, 2017
  5. With some massaging, yes. I run an activity report, save it as a text file and run it through a custom Python script to get the TOS import/export format.

#15     Jun 23, 2017
  6. Joebone

Joebone

Excellent, thanks for the advice!

#16     Jun 23, 2017
  7. Have you looked through IB third party apps? Maybe something there. I haven't looked through them in ages though.
    https://www.interactivebrokers.com/Universal/servlet/MarketPlace.MarketPlaceServlet

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    #17     Jun 24, 2017
  8. lugui

lugui

Hi,

In TOS, what is the command used to import trade log ?

Thanks

lugui

#18     Jun 28, 2017
  9. Sadly there's not much in IB's 3rd party app collection for option trading, at least not a direct TOS replacement. OptionVue is probably the best for risk graphs, modeling and greeks but it's an expensive subscription.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    #19     Jun 28, 2017
  10. Under the analyze tab in the Positions and Simulated Trades pane there's a menu button to the right. The Import Trades menu item does it.
    Just keep in mind you can't directly import trades from IB into TOS. The import is for TOS-formatted exported trades.

#20     Jun 28, 2017