Switching to a Mac / Yes or No

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vespasian, Jul 8, 2009.

1. With VMWare (and I believe Parallels) you can run the application, such as Internet Explorer, and it will look like any other native app that is running. So for example, you could have the Mac version of Firefox running and the XP version of Firefox seamlessly running together. More info here - http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

#11     Jul 10, 2009
  2. bigb

bigb

New computers purchased right now with vista come with an automatic upgrade of windows 7 when it is released in October. So you will only have to deal with it 3 months. Windows 7 is said to be far and beyond vista. However, I run three computers simultaneously with vista since it was released and never had any real problems but who knows in your case.

#12     Jul 11, 2009
  3. i have the evaluation of windows 7 and it sucks .... i run mac leopard and vmware fusion 2 ontop.... i think windows when its run inside vmware fusion is actually more stable
    .... but even then compared it still isnt good

#13     Jul 13, 2009
  4. gfacap_jg

gfacap_jg

Dear Vespasian -

I ran Windows XP, then Windows XP and OS X simultaneously (motivated by a spate of anti-M$ feeling), then OS X alone, then switched to Windows Vista (realising App!e have no scruples).

With apologies if I cover that which somebody else has contributed already.

---Hardware---
    Apple -'s Expensive and if you buy an iMac very limited ability to upgrade.
    Apple +'s Beautiful design. Seamless peripheral interoperability (full control over hardware). iMac is very quiet. Everything looks better on a glossy screen (unless you have reflection!).
    PC -'s Ugly big box! (though my silver Antec looks smart).
    PC +'s Easy and cheap to upgrade.

---Software---
    Apple -'s Inclusive software is slowly slipping off the included list. Has as many problems as PC s/ware. Some s/ware will need to be run through a 'convertor'.
    Apple +'s Pretty interface (tightly controlled UI spec).
    MS ='s OS search is just as quick. New IE is as good as Safari.

Your options to run PC only s/ware are i) Dual boot ii) Use a Virtual instance of MS within OS X (as shown by a screenshot earlier). Both of these methods are simple.

My personal experience is that the grass is always greener on the other side, both have niggles but both can perform most tasks. These days it is simply a question of want. Oh yes, and Win7 looks excellent, but then you may want to ignore me entirely as I have no complaints against Vista!

Happy shopping.

Not being one to compromise I run Apple monitors and a PC box!

FYI I run: Quad Core 2.6Ghz Slackr, 4GB RAM, Radeon 2GB.

#14     Jul 13, 2009
  5. good post but i think your forgetting the best reason to have mac .. the os is more stable no blue screens... no freezes.. and it uses memory in a more efficient way. Ive had mac for 3 years and i think i restart it once every 4 months or so because of the new patches.

#15     Jul 14, 2009
  6. I used to run NinjaTrader and TWS in VMWare while running thinkorswim in OS X for charting. It works fine but only if you don't try to integrate the Windows apps into the OS X UI ("Unity" mode) which would cause problems with windows not being drawn correctly.

I now run TWS, thinkorswim and ZeroLine Trader all on OS X without VMWare and it's a great setup. The software meets my needs and the OS X/MacBook Pro combo is fantastic for trading, with Spaces/Expose/superior window management making it easy to operate a multitude of trading windows, the incredibly functional trackpad with multi-touch gestures, and the overall speed and reliability of OS X itself.

#16     Jul 23, 2009