Switching from Schwab to....??

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by snooma, Aug 1, 2005.

1. snooma

snooma

I'm a relative rookie, have been trading at Schwab for a few years using Street Smart Pro. Swing trading, not really a day trader, but I do keep an eye on things throughout the course of the day. Trade a few times a week, sometimes may not trade for a few weeks, however.
    I like SSP. What is comparable out there? Scottrade, e-Trade, etc.??
    Thanks for any help.

2. Why are you switching?...perhaps that will inform any advice.

3. snooma

snooma

Just figure it's time for a change....pay some lower commissions since I don't get too much service from them anyway.

4. Choad

Choad

The typical small retail trader can't do better than Interactive IMHO.

You need to trade enough to get free market data tho (30 bucks in commish in a month), or it will cost $10 a month.

Great broker. With a super trading interface. Just don't be too fast to upgrade when the new beta comes out!

5. I agree with the IB recommendation. I'd do that in combo with a one-time up-front fee chart program that used IB's feed like Amibroker (I have never used it btw). That way you avoid monthly sub fees.

6. snooma

snooma

Thank you both for the replies. Very helpful.
    Started checking out the IB site. First thing that impressed me was Mac compatiblity!!
    Why the seperate chart program? Does IB not have adequate interactive charting?