Switching from scalping to swing. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Dr_Explode, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Jesus Christ, I'm not looking for that leverage overnight. I want to continue day trading while slowly experimenting with holding 200 shares until I can get a sense of how feasible switching would be. What I'm looking for is an account that might be legally defined to both day trade and swing trade.

The reason I'm not willing to trust anything over 5k with a firm is because I haven't yet met a trustworthy firm, although I haven't spoken to the more established ones yet. My previous one kept seven grand of my capital for six months after I quit.

You're definitely a smart guy when it comes to trading, but judging from your response you seem like a real prick in person.

#21     Mar 28, 2006
  2. Thanks for the advice. I had no idea 30k bp was that hard to get or that it's really a 2:1 game, since I've only been doing prop. It seems I'll need to create two separate accounts then and continue day trading where I'm at.

#22     Mar 28, 2006
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Dude, you have no idea. I'm a huge freaking prick in person. That's what 10 years in this business will do to you. You are worried about losing your 5k? Hell, we are worried you are going to blow our firm up. It's not really an equal bet is it?

I'm sorry, I'm not going to take back what I said. You want to trade and you are basically saying you don't believe you will make money. Otherwise, you would have no problem putting up some capital. You are practically shouting it from the rooftop.

Listen, there maybe some daytrading firms out there that will let you in with just 5k and let you churn your account down to nothing then show you the door. But no one is going to let you have overnight risk for 5k. Not in this world. And calling me a prick is being way too generous. Ask me if you can trade overnight positions with 5k in person. And bring someone with you. LOL.

#23     Mar 28, 2006
  4. With the amount of sleaze out there who can open an LLC, find shady ways to charge you, and then try to legally stick it to you if you leave, I'm not too trusting. If I could day trade through something established like IB I wouldn't have a problem putting money down. Getting trapped in a shady firm that has since lost all of its traders proved to me that you can't lavish trust on someone just because they have an LLC. Sue me.

I wasn't aware that holding even 100-200 shares overnight would basically require 25k, that leverage was that tight. Now I know.

#24     Mar 28, 2006