Switching from ES to Bonds

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by 9Baller, Jun 30, 2009.

1. rickf

rickf

Is it me or is the EuroFX future just a smaller version of the EUR/USD (6E) future contract and only traded on Globex? Do you know how they compare in terms of trading activity and liquidity?

#11     Jul 6, 2009
  2. I ment the (6E) futures when I stated EuroFX futures. Initially looked at the emini Euro futures, but the liquidity is too low. Didn't look at the micro futures yet.

#12     Jul 7, 2009
  3. Also pay attention to the Bund, the Long Gilt and the many European bond auctions if you plan to trade in the early part of the day.

#13     Jul 7, 2009
  4. There's an article in July's Futures Magainze (futuresmag.com) which explores the topic you're talking about here, and I'm sure they've discussed in the thread how it's easier for the Bonds to make a prolonged movement in one direction than the ES, which is notorious for it's unrelenting chop and headfakes.

However I have found that the bonds can also go through periods of extracted choppiness as well, so don't jump from one to the other just when things are about to change-up again. :)

#14     Jul 8, 2009
  5. 9Baller

9Baller

Hello again, Volatility back to normal in ES today...for how long we will see...noticed that 10 yr. note was more volatile than the long bond today...
    is that the normal pattern with treasuries?...when the the ES is light... the 10 yr will also be light...and bonds will be more volatile...and when the ES is moving...10 yr is also moving and the bonds are more quiet?...

this may be a "wide brush" theory...but I'm new to bonds any help is greatly appreciated...

#15     Jul 13, 2009
  6. When I trade the ES, I really don't find it too useful to look at the overnight session data and usually just watch charts from 9:30 - 4:15 EST session.

For both the EuroFX and Bond contract, what are the best hours to trade? I assume 8:20 AM and the first few hours after that?

Also, is it worth looking at the overnight globex data, or should I just look at the EC and TY trading hours?

#16     Aug 11, 2009
  7. Cash bonds/bond futures trade 24hrs and you should never ignore the overnight session, since that's when the Asians/London do their dirty deeds. That said, max liquidity is during the regular US hours, of course.

#17     Aug 11, 2009
  8. Thanks for replying.

Another question, how many ticks are the typical profit targets for scalp and swing positions? Also, as far as a pure money stop what is the typical stop that one should use, on the ES, my stops are 8 ticks, and my initial profit targets are 1 point, followed by 2 and 4 point targets.

#18     Aug 11, 2009
  9. I don't think I can answer these questions. Not in an ad hoc sorta way. Maybe someone else can...

If I were you, I'd try to approach the issue scientifically. Take a specific period's worth of tick data and look at the volatility of the contract within that period. From that you should be able to come up with some answers.

#19     Aug 11, 2009
  10. I'd appreciate any input that you have on what you think would be a methodical approach to coming up with these numbers.

#20     Aug 11, 2009