switching from cable to DSL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andrasnm, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Enginer

Enginer

I'd like to report success with Verizon FIOS, but.....

A neighbor 4 doors down had a little flag next to drive (paraphrase)"We've got FIOS!" about two months ago.

Verizon automatic availability still denies it is available on my street. Called Engineering twice, no response yet.

Lots in my area are 1 house/5 acres. They may just not want to dig a 450 foot trench to houses...

My neighbor is a well known builder/developer, probably got connected as a marketing ploy, as they contacted him, not vice-versa.

#31     Feb 25, 2006
  2. Opra

Opra

Sorry, Enginer, I didn't check the site often enough and didn't subscribe to the thread.

I put the order on hold, because a Verizon tech came, surveyed the house and told me that he need to extend a fiber line to the house, get a power source for a backup box and put up another box some where inside the house, etc. Not as straight forward as I thought it would be in the similar fashion of set up DSL. And another thing is, when the fiber line is in, the modem will stay in the room where the line is, not like DSL set up in that where there is a phone jack you can have the DSL modem. I don't want to lose the flexibility of which room to have my home office in. Of course I can go wireless, but somehow I feel much securer when the PC is wired to the modem. So I want to give it a more careful planning.

One of my friend who has it now told me that it is very good. So I think I will order it in the near future.

#32     Feb 25, 2006