switching from cable to DSL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andrasnm, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Opra

Opra

Hmm, interesting. Guess it depends on individual cases? My experience has been that cable would go out and drop, so I switched to DSL and have never had a problem with it.

BTW, my experience with cable internet was about 3 years ago, so maybe it has improved.

Now I have ordered upgrade to Verizon's fios (fiber optic stuff) for 5mbps upload/2mbps download and will see what happens

#11     Jan 21, 2006
  2. Spunky

Spunky

I had CableVision internet for 2 years and had to restart it at least twice a week and it slowed to a crawl every evening when the neighbors used it. A friend had CableVision internet installed in florida a few weeks ago while I was visiting and it ran so slow that we had to check the speed. Would you believe it checked half the speed of dial up. The service people came out and worked on it for two hours and said "that's as good as it gets". And they charge about $46 a month. I now have DSL for $15 a month with great speed and never have a problem. DSL rules

#12     Jan 21, 2006
  3. Either one will break down at some point. Could be 1 hour or 1 day. As a precaution, I now have both (half the computers on each). Each hooked to it's own modem and router. This way I can tell right away where any problem likely is. No more...is it this computer, is it the modem, is it the router, is it the internet connection? And if one breaks down for an extended period, I just switch the others to whichever is working.

Only drawback is the office is beginning to look like a monstrous web of wires. (But I'm not too confident about going wireless yet...maybe 1 of these days).

#13     Jan 21, 2006
  4. why go wireless. i have 7 monitors and two computers set up on cable using a wired router and i have a 3 monitor dsl system set up for backup. 1 or 2 down days a year can cost more than 5 years of having the backup service

#14     Jan 21, 2006
  5. Wireless is a security nightmare waiting to be happened. Thanks guys for starting this thread. I am using optimum online in the Long Island NY area... only very rare occasional problems... too expensive though... but I still like to have redundancy and thought about Verizon DSL. Do you know if they are any good in the Long Island, NY area? Thanks.

#15     Jan 22, 2006
  6. Have cable for years, just goes down if there is a major problem in the area, then almost never goes down, do not remember going down in the last 6 months.
    DSL goes down very often, needs to login.... cable is always connect.
    Have comcast and bellsouth.

#16     Jan 22, 2006
  7. I must say comcast is quite "bulletproof" in my area, my reasons are quite simple, cost. I am building a house and it will not have cable, I find TV is the new opium for the masses and refuse to pay for cable.
    It will have DSL however and maybe satellite.....later

#17     Jan 23, 2006
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

If I were building a house, I would make sure that each room has cable access. I used to have cable +wireless between the 2 computers but the wireless part kept dropping. So finally I picked up the drill went through 2 walls and now they are all connected with wires and no problem whatsoever, not to mention speed and security.

I guess the moral of this thread is that it really depends on provider and geography. If you are happy with what you got, don't tinker with it, if there are problems, keep looking until you find the right one.

#18     Jan 23, 2006
  9. Oh yeah I will have 'access' just for resale considerations.....good point :)
    I am considering ethernet(data) in all rooms not cable - my wife will be running a tax, accounting office from home too.

#19     Jan 23, 2006
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

I am sorry, that's what I meant. But there is nothing wrong with considering resale options when you build a house...

Edit: thinking about it, let's make it both cable AND ethernet in all rooms... :)

#20     Jan 24, 2006