Switching Computers-- How to Transfer Data?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Corso482, Dec 15, 2002.

1. I like the idea of an external hard drive.

It sounds like a smart idea to have around for back up. Is it just plug and play, or do I have to reconfigure my computer to recognize the new hard drive every time I plug it in?

#11     Dec 16, 2002
  2. PnP with Windows 98, 2k or XP

#12     Dec 16, 2002
  3. The hub also easily allows the benefit of a shared Internet access with just one connection. Not too simple with a crossover cable. And rather than smart, I'd probably say efficient short term solution oriented traders. :)

#13     Dec 16, 2002
  4. Good point, except I have a bunch of computers, not just the two. It is possible to be rich and smart.

#14     Dec 16, 2002
  5. Now you tell me!

#15     Dec 16, 2002
  6. You can use one of your PCs as a router/firewall. It even does NAT or it can be a fully transparent proxy. You need Linux for the more fancy stuff of course. Or if you don't want to reboot every day.

#16     Dec 16, 2002
  7. When did people on this thread start speaking Greek?

#17     Dec 16, 2002
  8. whenever i get a new computer, i usually just take out the hard drive from the old computer and connect it to the new computer as a slave drive. then i either copy over the files i want to the new drive and put the old drive back in the old computer, or just leave both drives in the new computer.

#18     Dec 16, 2002