switching cable to dsl question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by invaliduser, Aug 29, 2005.

1. TGregg

TGregg

Seems like most ISPs love to install a CDs worth of crapware on your PC. If you are running WindowsXP you shouldn't need any of it.

#11     Aug 30, 2005
  2. What about us idiots that installed that p.o.s CD and now cannot get rid of their logo? lol

I've used both. When there are no major issues with cable ( 1-3 times a year they blow something up and have to fix things for sometimes weeks at a time ) it is superior to Verizon DSL. Although, i did use Verizon DSL for only six months and found it acceptable for trading fast markets but outages were a bit too frequent for me.

If you trade over $200K in principal in fast markets as a living you really want the Frac T1.

#12     Aug 30, 2005
  3. I wondered if, instead of buying a wireless pci adapter I could use my router to capture another routers signal. Seems like routers are only outbound signal.

On speedguide.net forums I found out how to delete all the registry junk that the Comcast software put on my PC, it even renamed Internet Explorer.

#13     Aug 31, 2005
  4. here's a trick i used to vastly improve the quality of the Verizon DSL service. mind you, i cannot comment on any other specific region than my own as my experiences reflect only the service local to myself.

at the service entrance to the house, i mult'ed the incoming copper pair - one mult feeds a single microfilter and continues on to feed all analog phones. the other mult feeds the DSL modem directly near the service entrance. then, i ran cat-5 to the router in the office area.

this serves a few purposes. the signal provided to the analog phone lines is guaranteed to have the filter already applied. also, the DSL modem is further upstream, thereby reducing the distance to your local switch, and placing it ahead of your analog phones.

now, the DSL is nice and clean, very reliable. also, a good idea is to install very small, cheap UPS's for your DSL modem at the service entrance and for your router. uptime is great, now. before (when using the individual microfilters on the individual phone lines, and having the DSL connected to one of the unfiltered feeds to the office) there were problems with dropouts, unreliability, etc..

again, i cannot comment generally on the reliability of Verizon DSL service, but this technique works here.

#14     Aug 31, 2005
  5. Yes it is possible to use another wireless router as an ethernet bridge. The setup is tricky. You need to turn off dhcp and give the PC its own static IP in the range of the second router's subnet. Turning off dhcp makes the router a bridge and you can either plug into it or connect wirelessly. Go to the manufacture's site for explanation of how to setup your router.

P.S. If you don't understand dhcp and subnets, it may not be worth it for you to use the extra wireless router. It might be cheaper to buy a pci adapter then trying to learn these concepts.

Good luck

#15     Aug 31, 2005